Water Flow / Pump too fast?

Jun 28, 2012
Ive been reading the pool school, bought the recommended test kit and understand the test kit, and finally replaced all of my orings and have perfect suction and I'm 99 % i have no suction leaks. My problem now is that I cant get my filter to filter - now that my pump seems to be running better than ever, its working too good i guess.

It seems like the water is shooting in and out and bypassing the catridge filter. I'll let the air bleed out and 5 minutes later go bleed it out again and again, etc. Its like the water is going out faster than it comes in if that makes any sense. If i look at my jets, i see the algae i'm vacuuming up shooting right out instantly. I did have to buy a new pool motor and i bought one at Leslies - one of the Ecotech variable speed motors 3.5 hp at 100 %. Maybe its too powerful?

what size of the filter? It would have to be huge to use that pump any where closer to full speed.

What happens when you turn the speed down ?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

ke263565 said:
I did have to buy a new pool motor and i bought one at Leslies - one of the Ecotech variable speed motors 3.5 hp at 100 %. Maybe its too powerful?
So what speed are you running? Too high and it can damage the filter not to mention drawing in air on the suction side.

I am a fairly new pool owner - with an older pool. When I took over the pool there was no one to explain anything. My pump basket always had a little air in it until yesterday. Both suction side valves were partially closed, and when I opened them both, the air magically
was gone.

The point if this is that tiny suction leaks can exist and lowering the pressure relative to the supply helps. Maybe turning down the pump speed will eliminate the problem - should be an easy test.
-sent with Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.