To close or not to close

Aug 21, 2012
I live in central Texas. This is the first year with a ag pool. By reading here I see a lot of you in the south don't close your pools. My question is how do you take care of them in the winter? We do drop below 20* at night for a few weeks. Most days we're 30-40* durning the day. We are about 150 mi. South of DFW.

Not sure about above ground, but my in-ground doesn't close and I'm north of Dallas.

The pump is set to automatically come on when the air temperature drops below 39°F.

As long as you have the ability to run the pump to prevent freeze damage, you should be okay with not closing. Now my mom had an AGP when she lived in Round Rock and she closed for the winter every year. You don't have to though.

Twelker said:
So, would you guys recommend wrapping the hoses with insulation? I would rather not close. Also would you recommend running the pump at night instead of day?

I don't think wrapping the pipes would do much...not worth it. If you have a timer for your pump you might set intervals such as 30 min. on every 2 or 3 hours depending on how much below freezing the temp ranges during the day or night.

Yes Glock. Moving water (running pump/filter) prevents freezing. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.