Single speed to 2 speed

shubb1282

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
As stated in my signature I have a single speed 2hp motor with a haywared super II pump. I live in the Las Vegas area so pool use is year round. Electricity if I'm reading the rate charts correctly is $0.11 kWh always. I am a new home owner and looking to see if I can drop my energy usage.

From reading other posts it seems that 2 speed would be the best option for our electricity rates. (correct me if I'm wrong) 17,000 gallon pool, 500 gallon spa. (spa is an estimate pb didn't have the records anymore)

Pool Features 1/5' spa to pool waterfall, 3 small waterfalls out of the wall into the pool, and 4 jets into spa, pool is vac cleaned. I run the pool for 6 hours a day in the summer currently as per previous homeowners recommendation.

Motor/Pump replaced in the last year by previous owner. Should I replace just the motor with a two speed? replace motor/pump? what size or models are most recommended for my features, runtime and location?

Any help is appreciated, i read other topics on the subject but it seemed to me these decisions are pretty case by case so hopefully this question isn't considered beating a dead horse

Thank you

Given the water features and spa, I don't think it would be wise to downsize the pump so just replacing the motor with a two speed would probably be the most cost effective way to reduce energy. Especially since the pump is fairly new.

Thank you for the quick reply. So you recommend a 2hp 2sp motor, and is there any brand or deal that is favored? or are they all pretty similar? any recomendations on the timer? as I'm guessing I need one that can handle the added function of the different speeds

I just noticed your signature. If your pump is a SP3020X252AZ, all SuperIIs start with SP30, then you already have a two speed. But the B130 is not a two speed motor. So perhaps the motor was replaced already but with a single speed?

Anyway, I think the original part # for the motor is SPX1620Z2M. Google the part# and you will get lots of hits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.