Dry Ice

KDC43

Jul 19, 2012
Will adding a large amount of crushed up dry ice damage an Intex pool? It's a 52x24 pool, if not I will leave it up until after Halloween for the fog. From reading I see that it will drop the PH level significantly but that doesn't seem to be something that will damage a plastic liner, or will it?

If it's one pound per 10,000 gallons, then that may drop the pH to around 7.0, but if it's a lot more than that then it could lower the pH more than you would want and low pH isn't good for vinyl liners. It's nowhere near as bad as throwing a Trichlor puck into the pool resting on the liner, but it will lower the pH and you'll need to aerate the water to get the pH back up if you want the TA to remain the same. Otherwise, if you use Borax or other base to raise the pH, the TA will rise as well. We have a bunch of threads on dry ice -- do a search (using Google search at the bottom of the TFP screen) on "dry ice".

Thank you. It isn't a big issue about the TA because I will be taking the pool down as soon as Halloween is over, I just thought this might be easier than fooling with fog machines. Not sure it will work though because the water is going to be cold and in the youtube videos I have seen they are saying that the pools are heated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.