New sand filter and pump, what is best?

Sep 8, 2012
I have a 48 x 24 ft above ground pool, approx. 28,000 gallons. I want to get a new sand filter and pump and don't know what is best, keeping cost in mind. I currently have a hayward pump and filter that are definately too small (were from a 24' round). What do you suggest?

Many times pools are sold with oversized pumps and undersized filters. You probably want to consider something like a 27 or 30-31 inch filter and a 1HP. If you live someplace with high electricity rates, you may want to consider a 2-speed or variable speed pump. Inground equipment will work fine for your pool, and tends to be better quality.

Do you have a cleaner or SWCG that might affect your pump needs?

denmark85 said:
I have a Polaris that I use about once a week and I'm not sure what a SWCG is.

Thank you for your help.

Which Polaris? Does it run off a booster or from the pump? Is it suction side or pressure side?
SWCG = Salt Water Chlorine Generator - an alternate way of giving your pool chlorine. The reason he asked is that you need the pump on while the SWCG is running.

denmark85 said:
Polaris 165, as for chlorine, they're the 3" tabs in containers that float around in the pool.

Polaris 165 is primarily for in-ground pools - I don't know why they say that and the 65 is for AGP. My suspicion is there is something in the pump requirements that is related. I'm afraid I don't know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.