Generic filters vs OEM

Sep 8, 2012
I have an Artesian spa that uses (what I believe is) a Unicel 6CH-502 filter. Different online spa supply shops offer everything from Artesian OEM part to a cut rate filter that "replaces Unicel 6CH-502." How important is it to use a manufacturer's OEM part vs. brand name (Unicel) vs. cut-rate "replacement"?

I have not experience with cartridge filters, but I imagine they are pretty similar. The OEM is likely one of the name brands Unicel/Filbur/etc. There is a chance that the cheap ones are also built in the same factory.

Depending on how different the price is, might be worth a try. They will all certainly work, but there is a chance some may not work as well as others.

Just like everything else out there, there are generics ... should be the same, but might have minor differences. At least this is not as important as a car oil or air filter which could result in expensive repairs ... your spa just may be a little less sparkly.

Some distributors have indicated a difference in manufactures. They recommend OEM, Unicel and Wilbur. But Pleatco are definitely lower quality thinner material as are some of the filters from China. I have heard this from multiple sources but I have not directly experienced other brands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.