Filter Sand Replacement.

Blue114

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2012
Brisbane , Australia
Hi
I was wondering if you can use bulk sand in the filter instead of bagged filter sand. The bagged sand will cost $200 -300 and the bulk washed river sand about $10. I am a landscaper and use different types of sand every day.

We have good quality sands available. I guess the problem would be getting the right size.

If I remove some sand from my filter and compare it do you think this would work?

Cheers
Brad

Woah?! $300 to fill your filter with sand? That's insane. I would use the bagged filter sand as I know it's the right grade but your price is nuts unless you have 2,000 lb tanks on your filter. According to your info you have 500lb tank so $120 at most.

Filter sand should not be more than $12 for a 50lb bag.

Also sand doesn't really go "bad" it will loose some of it's edges which trap dirt but sand filters will filter down to a smaller particle half way through it's cycle AKA "it filters better when it's a little dirty".

So if you currently have sand in your filter I'd leave it there. If your pool is turning green then it's always a chemical issue, not filtration.

Hi Kev,

Sorry I think I overestimated. I need 227 kg and the price I got was $22 for 15 kg. But since looking more online I can get 20kg for around $10. Here in Austarlia pool stuff is way more expensive. I have just emptied 70% from my pool after acid bathing it to get rid of calcium deposits on the walls and floor. I have refilled and chemicaled and run the filter for 3 days. Current readings this morning.

CH 230
TC 2
FC 2
PH 7.4
TA 100
CA 30

The water is still dull and cloudy so that's why I thought maybe the sand needs replacing. Do you think this is normal time frame to get it looking good again. Cheers Brad

If it's cloudy i would do one of those over night FC loss tests. To make sure it's not something organic making the water cloudy. After that is out of the way if it's still cloudy I would make sure the valve seat gasket on the filter isn't damaged as that can allow unfiltered water back to the pool instead of through the sand.

Thanks

I've done a flush of the filter to get some of the rubbish out and gently loosened the sand . and now put the filter on boost for 24 hrs. That should raise my FC . Since the flush i've got no air bubbles going into the pool from the return lines and everything sounds and seems to be running better. I'll give it a day and see what happens. Thanks again for all your input.
Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.