How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up valve

tbenton

Jun 3, 2010
I need help. I have been replacing my entire Polaris 380 backup valve every time the collar cracks which seems to be every couple of years and it just cracked badly again. I have spent way too much doing this. I think its a design flaw. Just found out I can just replace the collar cheaply and duh on me. I want to buy one but I need to know how to get the old one off. There are what looks like thumb print 'grippers' but if it screws off I can't do it by hand. Tried one of those rubber strap wrenches too. Is there some trick to do this? HELP Please

Thank you
Terri

Re: How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up v

They are a pain, it seems as if the plastic welds itself. That said, if the collar is already cracked break it the rest of the way and the parts should come apart pretty easily (or hit it with a hammer :hammer: ).

Quaxalot,

I thought the same thing..that it welds itself. I did a fantastic job of using Duco cement to glue it back together while I ordered the collar. I told the guy at the pool store I would let them take the old collar off for me...lo. They repair Polaris and perhaps have a trick and if not I will tell them to break the glue weld. I recall that when it was cracked I could pull the top of the collar up but the screwed on part did not budge. It is a screw type collar right?

Thanks so much
Terri

Dremel sounds like a plan if we cannot bust the cement seal. From the effort I made to screw it off I learned quickly that it is a PITA.
Thanks again
Terri

I purchased a new case and cannot get the collar to come off. I have tried everything from a vise to jar lid grippers. Any advice?

To Stopit new user

Join the club. Can't find anyone who has gotten the collar off without either damaging the unit or using a hammer or such. Funny that you cannot get the collar off a brand new case because I was told that if the purchaser/owner of the backup valve/case tightens it too much it will not twist off. My response was why would I ever touch the collar to begin with in normal situations. I have had Polaris cleaners since 1987 and I have never touched the collar on the back up valve. I had the nerve to buy a new collar and now might as well wear it as a bracelet. If you figure it out let us know.

Edit... I asked a big strong young man who works on Polaris at my local Leslies to get the collar off my latest broken collar on a valve that is two yrs old when I went in to pick up the new collar I ordered. He tried every tool in the shop and could not budge it. I felt better because he used many of the same wrenches,etc that I used including a pipe wrench. I kept the collar because one of my old glued back up valves will be sacrificed when I try more aggressive methods that have been suggested on this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I finally got the collar off the new valve by using by standin the unit on its end tha points away from the main unit and hitting down on the edge of the collar about 20 times. That seemed to loosen it up. If it had not worked I probably could not have returned it do to the scuffing caused by all my efforts.

Stopit,

Congratulations. I am happy for you and envious of your success.Wish you had made a You Tube video of it....lol. So tell me what did you hit the edge of the collar with? Mine already looks like a dog chewed it from all the tools used already.

Sorry for the cryptic post. I am replying using my phone and have fat fingers! I used a rather hard rubber mallet to hit straight down on the edge of the collar while holding the valve with the inlet pointing straight down on my work bench. Part of the mallet scraped off on the tiny gap between the collar and the valve. I will see if I can figure out how to attach a link to a video showing the technique.

Yes thats one of the first things I tried because I knew it wold not scuff the valve casing. It failed and I can usually get almost anything 'undone' with a strap wrench. I wanted to put the valve in a vise to hold in place but was afraid I might crush it.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Anyone try a strap wrench?

- Sent using Tapatalk

tbenton said:
Yes thats one of the first things I tried because I knew it wold not scuff the valve casing. It failed and I can usually get almost anything 'undone' with a strap wrench. I wanted to put the valve in a vise to hold in place but was afraid I might crush it.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Anyone try a strap wrench?

- Sent using Tapatalk

Two strap wrenches? One in each direction?

I haven't owned mine very long - but I tend to open the backup valve every couple of weeks - I don't know why - so maybe (knock wood) mine won't get stuck.

That is a GREAT idea and that would keep it from 'welding' itself together. I never even gave it a thought to open any of my valves over the years but I sure will IF I ever get the new collar on. The Duco cement airplane glue job I did worked 100% and the pool is closed now so I will see what happens next year.

UnderWaterVanya said:
I haven't owned mine very long - but I tend to open the backup valve every couple of weeks - I don't know why - so maybe (knock wood) mine won't get stuck.

You know what is really sad? We are just a few examples of this problem. We have scratched our heads, used every tool we own and even gone to extremes to get this THREADED collar off. I sure wish the maker of Polaris would read this forum. Surely there is something they could do with the design. I emailed Polaris and they told me it "just twists off counter clockwise". Really?

tbenton said:
You know what is really sad? We are just a few examples of this problem. We have scratched our heads, used every tool we own and even gone to extremes to get this THREADED collar off. I sure wish the maker of Polaris would read this forum. Surely there is something they could do with the design. I emailed Polaris and they told me it "just twists off counter clockwise". Really?

Since I haven't had the problem - I cannot contribute - but if everyone experiencing this pushed back and perhaps even shipped the errant part to them they would get the message.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.