o.k. to swim? Just shocked.

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
Hi all,

I ran a search on this topic to see how soon after shocking you can return to swimming. Based on what I've read, it looks like it's safe to return to swimming once your FC is below shock level. Here's where it gets foggy for me:

Based on this chart I was referred to for shocking:

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

...it states my shock FC level for a CYA of 65 should would be somewhere between 24 and 28. My current FC reads 23, so I would assume I'd be good.

But then I just noticed pool calculator says that my shock FC level is only 19, which would mean a FC of 23 is not swimmable. :|

Which should I follow? Is my FC of 23 safe to swim? I have a family get together at my house today, and there will be about 10 heart-broken kids if they have to stare at a swimming pool they can't swim in all day. :(

If it's not safe to swim, is there anything I can do to get the FC down a few PPM relatively quickly?

Thanks

Swim away. The shock values developed here are guidelines and there is some leeway. If you want to swim, it's fine.

1. Is your pool clear? Did you pass the OCLT which indicates the shock process is complete?

2. It would have been better if you had kept this under your other thread already started so everyone could easily see your whole "story". Start as few new threads as possible to get the best advice.

If you use the numbers in the chlorine/cya chart, your shock level is 26 so you'd be fine to swim as long as the water is clear and the CC's are less than 1. There's a little bit of difference between the chart and the calc.

Thanks, guys. Yes, I passed the OCLT test from Thursday night to Friday morning. FC was at 36 about 10pm on Thursday night and still 36 at about 8am Friday morning. FC as of this morning was 23, so I'm guessing that's due to the bright, sunny, 95 degree day we had here yesterday.

CC has consistently been 0 since Wednesday evening.

Pool is clear, but I've got some white stuff on the floor now that clouds up if I brush. I'm guessing that's dead algae I need to vacuum away.

I'm guessing once I get about 10 kids in there, the pee is going to bring my FC way down way quick. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.