Loose permission on "your posts" after idle.

y_not

Jul 24, 2012
Redmond, OR
I'm using Chrome v21, does it on v22 beta as well.
I honestly haven't bothered to try it in FF or IE, but I can if need be.

I never log out and never have an issue /w viewing the general forum, posting, etc...
The one issue I do have is when I haven't been on the forum for a while, say a 1/2 day or so, doesn't seem to do it after just a few hours, takes more.
When I click "your posts" in the upper right corner, I get the following error.
Code:
"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes."

If I just click it again or hit F5 to refresh, then it's fine.
Has done this since day one on 3 different computers. 2 Win7, 1 XP.
I'm an IT guy, I have lots.

I'm sure it's a session cookie issue, but it doesn't effect login, I'm always still logged into the site and never have to log back in.
No cookies/cache, etc.. have been cleared in between, thus not the source of the issue.

Second issue I see, I like to browse the web on my media server, it's a 65" TV so I zoom all webpages, any zoom beyond default 100% and the flash slideshow on the main pg. shrinks, by the time it's up to 150%, it is as wide as the words "TroubleFreePool", below the "welcome" banner. At 175% it's completely gone, which is where I zoom the site to.
It does this in all the major top browsers, FF15, IE9 & Chrome 21/22.
In fact it's worse in IE, but that's probably no news, since I breaks soooo many web standards, don't get me started. HAHA

I can right click on the slideshow and use the Flash "Zoom In" function and this fixes it, but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to resolve this issue, as more and more people are using higher res displays and discovering they can in fact zoom the webpage so it fills it. And unlike images, HTML text zooms beautifully!!

Also, I'd love to see those images with hyperlinks embedded in them, like on YouTube, so when you see one you like, you can click to zoom and get a higher res view of it. Even better would be if it took you to that user's post, where they have the images so one can learn about what their pool is and their setup. That'd be great!!

OK, I think that's enough for now, mainly the 1st thing is somewhat of a big deal, IE. actually busted and the rest are just requests.

Thanks everyone, love the forum!! :goodjob:

Re: Loose permission on "your posts" after idle.

I notice the first issue as well. I just click it twice at this point.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

That error message has nothing to do with what browser you are using or what you have done previously. It only depends on the server load. When the server is busy it won't allow searching, which is where 90+% of the server load comes from.

I thought I had things tuned up enough that we were not getting those errors any more. I guess I will have to go back and look into it again.

I was pretty certain it had nothing to do with the browser, but everyone likes to point fingers there, so I thought I'd cover my bases.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, just a slight annoyance. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing the problem.

@JasonLion,
It only appears after idle, otherwise I can click it all day long and it's fine.
If that helps you any.

chem geek said:
The first issue happens to me on Firefox on a Mac. I just click "Your posts" a second time and it then works.

Chem Geek, a little off topic.
You should totally check out Chrome for the Mac if you have an Intel Mac running Leopard or later.
I have been a Firefox lover for over a decade, it's a fantastic web browser. But Chrome, wow!! Chrome just really out does it, soooooo much faster, launch times, web browsing, faster custom flash engine called Pepper Flash, saved profiles & auto web synced bookmarks+passwords so you can access from any computer when you sign in, even betyter security than FF's already great security, the list just goes on. It's fantastic in so many ways.
I still use FF from time to time, but Chrome has been my go to browser for over 2+ years and I setup all of my Mac users on it as well. They love it too.

Although I know at one point Pepper Flash still wasn't available on the Mac OSX version, but I know they were developing it, just not sure if they did finally or not. In the interim, it was just using the Adobe Flash just like FF, but still faster render time and better performance. I'll have to check next time I get on a Mac to see if Pepper Flash is active yet.

Also, ChromeAdBlock is your friend (Not AdBlock+, it's slow) /w Fanboy's Adblock+ Annoyances list, take out the normal list it adds and just leave the annoyances add-on list.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. How's Chrome do with PDF files? Firefox is awful and I've tried PDF Download plugin but it has problems as well. I use Safari when I get too frustrated with PDFs, but even then it's not ideal (doesn't search inside the PDF, for example, unless I save outside the browser and reopen). There's also the issue of Google's search results redirection which makes copy/paste of links horrid so I'm using Redirect Cleaner but that also has side effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Loose permission on "your posts" after idle.

JasonLion said:
That error message has nothing to do with what browser you are using or what you have done previously. It only depends on the server load. When the server is busy it won't allow searching, which is where 90+% of the server load comes from.

I thought I had things tuned up enough that we were not getting those errors any more. I guess I will have to go back and look into it again.

It happens every time I start a new session (idle long tine, closed browser, etc. ) It happens once then works fine all day long after thst first glitch. It is consistent and does not seem related to site speed.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Today this seems fixed. I will check one more time after closing browser.

Closed browser - reopened after a few moments and checked the site again. Problem is gone.

y_not said:
Just happened to me when I loaded the forum for the 1st time in several days, for that machine, on my other PC.
So it has been idle there, as far as cookies go, for several days.

Ah well... happened again to me today. I logged out, and moved my machine from one network to another today and it balked when I opened the site. Just the one complaint, then normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.