Just tested, not 100% sure what to do next

FTC3

Jul 7, 2012
Las Vegas
Just put my Taylor 2006 to use. So excuse the rookie explaination as I want to make sure I'm using it correctly. I've been a pool owner for 7 years but always been a chlorine and PH tester.

FC = 2ppm (25ml sample, 10 drops x .2)
CC = 0? (nothing happened on step 5 when I added the drops, did not turn pink?)
PH = 7.8 - 8.0 but I just lowered it to 7.5 adding MA
TA = 120 (25ml sample, 12 drops x 10)
CH = 375 (I tested with the 10ml and 25ml samples)
CYA = 70 - 80

The pool was completely emptied this past Feb or Mar. I unfortunately didn't find this site until a couple of months ago so I'm not sure if I wasted my time or if my numbers are saveable.

I had been using pucks but have recently switched to liquid chlorine after reading the site. I have had two small yellow algae patches (3 - 4") but nothing in the past 5 days. Funny enough, it was where the two chlorine dispencers hung out!?

Many thanks for the responses.

Welcome to tfp :wave:

Bump up FC to 8-9ppm (that's your FC target given CYA of 70-80) and perform the overnight FC loss test. If you pass it great. If not you should go through the shock process described in pool school. Cya is a little high for manual dosed pool but OK since you are in sin city (strong sun) :goodjob:

What he said.

I find the CH reading to be surprisingly low for your location. Enjoy it while it lasts.

And definitely keep FC up there. Your total usage won't be much different than anyone else, it just needs to have a higher minimum level because of the high CYA. So once you get it up, the maintenance dosage should be reasonable.

Thanks for the responses! I wish I would have tested when I filled the pool. What do you suspect the CYA was during new fill? Its only been 6 months since I filled it and its already at 70!

If I have been reading correctly, CYA inches up over time from chlorine use, right? But pucks cause it to increase quicker than liquid? Then SWG would be even slower than liquid?

I'm running the Intelliflow VS pump, given the pool size, do you have a recommendation for speed/RPM and length of time to run it for proper cleaning? I have a feeling I have been under running it.

Smykowski has is right Liquid chlorine and swgs do not increase CYA. Fill water has zero CYA, but likely contains CH. Your CH will increase over time due to evaporation. If you filled from you house water supply, you can just fill a cup from the same spigot and test that :goodjob:

I'm now at 8ppm for the FC but my CC is showing .5 maybe? It is registering a faint hint of pink. Does that matter?

Also, once balanced, what is typical chemical doses to maintain for chlorine and PH? Is it quart per day or week, gallon per week? I'm just wanting to get an idea of what to expect.

FTC3 said:
I'm now at 8ppm for the FC but my CC is showing .5 maybe? It is registering a faint hint of pink. Does that matter? No, that's normal.

Also, once balanced, what is typical chemical doses to maintain for chlorine and PH? Is it quart per day or week, gallon per week? I'm just wanting to get an idea of what to expect.I'd guess about a gallon of the new 8% bleach per day on a pool your size. More if it's 6%, less if it's 12.5%. You're just going to have to test and get a feel for it yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.