I need help with borates

acadianarose

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2012
Lafayette, Louisiana
After 2 months, I finally got my alkalinity down to 70 so I could add borates. I used Proteam Surpreme Plus because it was ph neutral. Now my ph is over 8 and TA is 130. What am I missing? :hammer: Did I still need to add muratic acid?

Thanks once again for your help
Linda

BTW- the water looks absolutely beautiful. It is always clear but never so shimmery.

Per my other thread comment...as you know I had the same issue with proteam supreme plus, which makes me suspect that supreme and supreme plus may have been mispackaged or MIS-mixed. Or perhaps they meant "comparative" because perhaps it will require far less acid to get it settled down.

I did use dudadeisel boric acid to retop midsummer and 10 lbs did boost TA by about 15, but it went back down on it's own after about a week and it did not raise my ph much at all.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes you add less. Use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosages. To add 50 ppm Borates in 10,000 gallons with boric acid you would add 382 ounces weight (about 410 ounces volume) while with 20 Mule Team Borax it's 589 ounces weight (about 564 ounces volume) and you'd also have to add 281 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hyrochloric Acid). Note that borax pool store products are sodium tetraborate pentahydrate so would use 450 ounces weight and the same acid as with 20 Mule Team Borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.