Water coming out of the backwash/waste hose

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
Hoping someone can help me. My pump and filter are brand new, everything was just installed this past weekend. Starting this evening, when i'm in normal pump/filter mode, was starts flowing out of the backwash/waste hose. I turned the pump off and back on. It filters fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then water starts spouting out of the backwash/waste hose again. Am I missing something? A setting or something? Is something not working properly? I ran a search on the site and couldn't find anything out. :(

thegame9377 said:
Hoping someone can help me. My pump and filter are brand new, everything was just installed this past weekend. Starting this evening, when i'm in normal pump/filter mode, was starts flowing out of the backwash/waste hose. I turned the pump off and back on. It filters fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then water starts spouting out of the backwash/waste hose again. Am I missing something? A setting or something? Is something not working properly? I ran a search on the site and couldn't find anything out. :(
Something is definitely wrong. Your multiport valve is not supposed to let any water bypass to anywhere but to where the handle is set at. Mine has indentations at each setting and the handle is spring loaded where it naturally pulls the tab on the handle down into that positions channel. Could the handle be moving out of position? Regardless, I would have the installer come back out to check out the spider gasket or anything else that could be causing this problem

Because it works for a bit, it sounds as if the multiport valve is working it's way out of the slotted "filter" position or, more likely, never gets seated in that slot correctly to begin with.

Well...I am the builder lol. The multiplier came already assembled. All I had to do was put it on the filter and clamp it down per the instructions. Not sure what to do or where to look at this point?

Could it be anything related to pressure? My pressure is at about 20psi at normal

duraleigh said:
It's a multiport...not a multiplier. If you are sure it is seating correctly, then it is time to disassemble it and inspect the gasket inside.

Sorry...that was autocorrect as im using my phone. I took it apart o check the spider gasket and it was good. I think I found the problem was that all the screws holding it together were not tight at all, sonindont think it pushed it down to make a good seal on the gasket. I put it all together and tightened everything down and all seems to be working one now. My normal pressure is about 12 now whereas orotund was hoeing near 20 before.

Well, scratch that. After about 30 minutes it started pouring out the backwash hose again. I'm at a loss here. Any help is appreciated.

I dont understand how water is getting to the backwash hose with the multiport in filter position. I looked at the spider gasket and its perfectly fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thegame9377 said:
jblizzle said:
Not sure about the delay, but is there any way the top of the multivalve is not aligned correctly?

Possibly. I can take it off again and look for something that points toward a proper alignment. If that was it, would it spit out the backwash righ as soon as it started up?
Alignment doesn't matter. All your hoses hook up to the multivalve. It's a self-contained unit and does not need any particular positioning. One of the selling points of that filter is that you can swivel the multivalve to any position to facilitate lining up hoses for different equipment positions.

yeggim said:
thegame9377 said:
jblizzle said:
Not sure about the delay, but is there any way the top of the multivalve is not aligned correctly?

Possibly. I can take it off again and look for something that points toward a proper alignment. If that was it, would it spit out the backwash righ as soon as it started up?
Alignment doesn't matter. All your hoses hook up to the multivalve. It's a self-contained unit and does not need any particular positioning. One of the selling points of that filter is that you can swivel the multivalve to any position to facilitate lining up hoses for different equipment positions.

I do not think that is true, unless you are talking about where the multivalve connects to the filter body ... that I agree may not matter. But if you take the handle and thus the spider gasket out ... that has a specific orientation to reinstall to the lower half of the multivalve.

jblizzle said:
I do not think that is true, unless you are talking about where the multivalve connects to the filter body ... that I agree may not matter. But if you take the handle and thus the spider gasket out ... that has a specific orientation to reinstall to the lower half of the multivalve.
Yes, where it connects to the filter body is what I meant. Sounds like a new multivalve is in order. The delay is probably an indicator of something wrong with the innards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.