Geez Louise 2

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
I put a new seal and plate on the pump.

When I hand tightened the impeller onto the shaft (one last good tight turn) it became clear that when I hand turn the impeller I get resistance and some rubbing.

Did I overtigthen? Do I back it off?

It won't do you any good to "back it off". If you do, the first time you start the pump it'll just screw itself back tight. You didn't leave a shim out did you? There should be a little resistance from the seal but no rubbing.

So there is never a need for porcelain to wear/rub down a little at first? :)
New AO Smith pump with a new seal plate.
The shaft has a rubber washer (actually pretty thick). Hope the heck that wasn't packing material!
Tapped the shaft seal into the seal plate with a PVC pipe of same size (I tapped metal flange all the way down flush with the plastic of the plate --> meaning seated it deeply- I seemed to have to tap it more than people on youtube videos).
Put other porcelain shaft seal into impeller -seems flush.
When I firmly hand tighten I imagine the noise to be this porcelain rubbing.
SHIM-- another spacer?
My total:
rubber washer at base of shaft against motor body
seal plate with seated shaft seal
impeller screwed on to shaft with shaft seal in back of impeller
I can turn impeller nearly as freely when it is making this rubbing noise, but not as freely as when I back off the tightening a little.

Again, if I could have disassembled the pump to begin with I could have retraced the parts..arrghh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.