Help with Pool Decking

Texas Spartan

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
Guys,

We are a month into our build and we are facing a dilemma. We want to stay more natural feel here in Houston and are avoiding tropical. So we choose pea gravel decking as the concrete top layer on 1000 sq ft of decking around the pool. We were supposed to have the decking poured today and when they didn't show our PB called and talked to my wife a bit about the build. In the conversation he mentioned he hates his pea gravel decking! We had KoolDeck at our last house around the pool but it always looked dirty and stained easy. Plus we thought it looked abit plain for what we have going in the new pool materials. But now we are second guessing.

PB has offered unlimited options that we narrowed down and the costs are as follows...

1) Pea Gravel already priced in
2) Upgrade to Kool Deck at $1.50 per sq ft added costs so $1500
3) Upgrade to stamped concrete at $4.00 - $4.50 per sq ft added costs so $4500 more

We are spending a lot so we don't want to skimp but I also don't want to pay another $4k but will if it completes the look. I figured I would get some feedback from folks on the feel and look of pea gravel vs Kool Deck vs Stamped. I know it varies by individual but we could use some help ASAP. We are going to tour some more pool with the PB tomorrow to see what looks best and to look at Pebble Sheen color in installed pool so we can wrap this baby up next week.

Here are some pictures of progress and materials... Glass tile, bullnose tarvertine coping, split face travertine on facing, pebble sheen surface (color TBD).

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 861
I think it's odd that your builder doesn't want to do pea gravel. If he didn't like the work of a previous sub, there are many more in your area that do fine work. The smaller pebbles they use now are easier on the feet and look better too.

Pavers would look great (that's what I'm using) but would be substantial increase in cost.

I've seen some nice stamped concrete and I've seen some seriously ugly stamped concrete. I would hate to think of having it done and you don't like it. I guess you could always spray it or top coat it if that was the case.

If it was me and I wanted pea gravel, I'd tell the builder to get a different sub to do it. It's in your contract right?

I wouldn't use pea gravel. No matter the size of the stone it will be hard on your feet. It is also hotter than lighter colored finishes.

Have you considered the "salted" finish with colored concrete?

Nice pool by the way...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies. Pea gravel is in our contract and the PB will do it but he scared my wife with his comments on how he wants to rip his out and how there might be some sharp edges that float up in the process. PB has been great as we have had some hiccups that he is on top of so not an issue of his willingness to accomodate us.

We're going out this afternoon with the PB to look at finished pools for a better decision and for pool surface finishes and colors. I'd like to do stamped I think but we'd be pushing our budget hard given the other material choices which we upgraded.

Anyone have issues with the pea gravel breaking out over time?

Kool Deck is porous and stains quite easily. Acrylic textured finish can be applied over concrete. It can be textured and colored to look like almost any surface you can imagine. Flagstone, pavers, or just like Kool Deck (but without the dirty stains tha develop). It's not as hot as other surfaces, but not quite as cool as Kool Deck. Price is usually the same or less than Kool Deck depending on surface texture and finish. You can make it as plain or fancy as you want.

To be honest I think he's charging you a little to much on the change order for the stamped concrete over the pea gravel. You might want to get another price and compare to your contracted price for the pea gravel mix. I think you can get him down from 4,500 if you really want the look

I did the integral color concrete salt finish. It is very light in color and not too hot due to this. It has excellent wet traction. Two of our friends did stamped decks which look great but they had a sealer applied that improves color and adds gloss that made it very slick when wet. They both complain about how slick it is and have had several falls. We did consider stamped with a cast on color hardener, no sealer, but it was expensive. That looks very nice but I can't tell you if it is slick when wet or not. You'd think it would have to be better than the above mentioned sealers.

I agree with bpricedo in that I would be careful on my choice in sealing. You can do the cast on color hardener or kept in mind you can do the salt finish in a stamped pattern as well which would really be great in a nice travertine color with the washed out salt would be great for your pool it would look like real travertine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.