Geez Louise... DIY pump voltage choice

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
My mistake was taking my rusted pump to a pool store and letting them test what I knew was corroded and dead.

Then they said they could get me new pump overnight (it is 7 days later and I am installing it. That's 7 days of no water moving).

This is for my solar pump.

I did not take back my old pump with me -- so the 115 vs 230 V setting is unknown to me.

Want to get this in tonight.

Does my panel clearly tell you what my set up is?

I have a filter pump and a booster pump for the pool sweep and a pump for a sheer descent.[attachment=0:1t88i39x]PoolLeftCircuitBreaker.JPG[/attachment:1t88i39x]

I can't see those breakers good enough to be ablolutely certain but all those pumps appear to be 230 volt. I'm fairly sure of it but since I can't see the handles close enough I don't want to say 100% that they are.

One would wonder if a guy should be messing with this if he doesn't know why two 20 amp switches linked together tell you it is 230 volts.
And why two pumps (that do run at the same time) are on the same circuit.

But much of DIY is reproducing exactly what you see. My problem was not taking back my old pump...

Thanks Dave!!

I am just curious as to why you need a solar booster pump.

What is your main pump make/model and how high is the solar?

You shouldn't need a booster at all. That is an extremely powerful pump. I have a 1/2 HP Northstar and I can prime my panels easily at a 25 ft height.

So my underdeveloped fluid dynamic brain can understand:
Water is below set temp --> Solar pump comes on and pumps to either pool or spa, whichever mode I'm in.
Without a solar pump how does the system send water to the roof? More valves?
I could dissect my system here with pics, but maybe there is a general answer to provide?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just saw your post. My question above is more important now. I'm replacing this motor after 5 years because I neglected to make a big deal out of a leak in the shaft plate because screws loosened (or it's O ring failed).
I'm sure the pool store will not be thrilled or may refuse to take this 1/2 horse motor back.
I have pumps coming out my arse.
Main pump, sheer descent pump, sweep booster pump, solar pump.

Most solar systems have a 3-way solar valve after the filter and after the check valve. This redirects water to the supply side of the panels. The return side of the panels come back through a check valve and connects right after the solar valve via a tee. With the solar valve, you can also adjust to bypass some of the water around solar. With a 1 HP pump, you can probably bypass at least some of the water. Even with a 1/2 HP pump, I can bypass some of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.