Newbie with algae issues

Sep 6, 2012
Hi all,

I'm new, have been reading posts and have just completed pool school but just want some advice from the experts. I am buying a house with a pool, it isn't mine yet, but will be within a week or so. The owner is out of town and not willing to fund any maintainence on the pool until closing. The pool was being cared for by renters, but since they moved out last week it has gone from gorgeous to green in 2 days, i had no idea it would be this quick! I have permission to get in the yard and do stuff to the pool, but I don't live there as yet, so a full clean is not going to be doable yet. My aim is to try to keep the pool from getting too out of control until we move in and can start doing things properly.

I have added aquachem blue shock in double dose as suggested, cleaned the filter and added chlorine tabs to the automatic chlorine thingie. I'm heading back tomorrow to see what I have and add anything else that it might need. I think i need to add acid to lower the PH and let the chlorine work, but im not sure how much. As I won't be there daily, should I over chlorinate? Shoud i adjust the timer to run for longer? Is there anything else I can do to prevent a horrible situation?

Pool: in ground concrete, 11,000 gallons, cartridge filter.
Water was crystal clear day 1, day 2 was starting to turn cloudy, by day 3 (today) it is green and I cannot see the bottom. I can see the steps, so about 18 in deep.
Water test was strip so limited, sorry: TC very low, FC very low, PH was high, stabilizer very low.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

As you know by reading Pool School, we can not really give very good advise without a full set of test results.

As you also should realize, the test strips are just not reliable enough to be trusted. If you have not already, order yourself one of the recommended test kits and post up the results when the kit comes in.

Also, learn to use the poolcalculator.com ... that will calculate for you how much of each chemical you need to add to achieve a certain change.

At a minimum I would stop using the tablets, since you have no idea what the true CYA is and just be adding bleach as often as possible. For reference, a 182 oz bottle of 6% bleach will raise the FC by 8ppm in your pool.

Review these as this is what you are going to be doing eventually:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

Welcome to the forum. Since the house isn't yours yet, I wouldn't do anything to it. My advice is to buy a test kit so that it's in hand when you take possession, and spend the meantime reading and reading and reading so you hit the ground running on the day you get the keys.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

I tried my local Leslie's for one of the test kits but they didn't have one, I'm heading to another on my way to the house tomorrow, hopefully they will and I can get some better readings.
Although the pool isn't mine yet, I wanted to try to stop it getting too out of hand, but the advice to leave well alone is noted ( and was my first thought)
Thanks for the input, I will update with better details tomorrow!

Correct, it is VERY rare that a local store carries any kits with the FAS-DPD test in it ... some reports that commercial supply stores may have them.

See the link my signature for a comparison of the kits ... the TF-100 gives you more of the reagent you actually need, so tends to be a better value even though it costs a little more.

You are better off just leaving it alone until you have a good test kit in hand and the time and accessibility to manage a full shock process. Otherwise you may be adding things that will make things harder later and won't be solving the problem in any way.

Once you get the keys, test the water before you add anything else and give a full set of test results and pool specs on the forum. There are lots of people who often jump in that will help you get started.

In the meantime, read "how to shock" in the pool school section of the site and check out the pool calculator as that will become a very useful tool for you as well that you will need to get acquainted with.

Don't let all the information in the pool school section scare you. It sounds like a lot to take in, but as you do it bit by bit it will come easy. The forum is also your friend if you get stuck or have questions.

Just an quick update. Thanks for all the advice, I went to see the pool yesterday eve and it was algae free- still slightly cloudy, but OK. The cheapie test strips indicate the levels are all Ok but ph is on the higher side. I am now going to take the advice given here ad leave it be until I move in. I have ordered one of the good test kits and am consuming info until move in. I'm sure I will be back for advice then.
Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.