Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto pilot digital

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto pilot digital

I have an digital auto pilot. I opened my pool a week ago the unit worked great until today I went to check everything and found that the display is all jumbled up. I can't read anything the display is on the words are like this: tes%$ c#l%. Any idea what might have happened or what I can do to reset it? I already unhooked all the cables and rehooked them powered the unit off then back on. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

The only obvious thing to try is to cycle power another time. If you are the adventurous type you could open the unit up and make sure the cable between the main unit and the display is properly fastened/fully seated at both ends. If that doesn't help then you have a circuit board failure and will need service.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks Jayson I did unhook and rehook all cables to make sure they were connected properly inside and out of the unit. If nothing else I will have to call for service. Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

I used to get such thing when i cross the data wires going from microprocessor to display accidentally, or when the short circuit.

Or when i used incorrect font tables

5. Back To Top    #5

Eagle,

Call the main office line. They may be able to walk you though a system start up. 800-786-7751, or activate a sevice call order. The scrambled display is not normal.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

In my short use of my Pool Pilot (6 wks or so), I've had both the "scrambled" display once, and a display were all of the LEDs were lite once. In my case, a power cycle corrected both. I considered it a "normal" occurrence, being as the unit is on unconditioned power. As long as the Pool Pilot functioned normally after the power cycle, I figured it was all good.

Being a computer person, I've always considered electronic devices on unconditioned power to be a questionable proposition. But if the electronic device has a good enough power conditioner, "most" "dirty" power gets conditioned.

So far, for me, the Digital Auto Pilot is a WONDERFUL device.

Mister Mister
    IG 18 x 36 Vinyl
    30,000 Gallons
    AutoPilot SWG
    Aquabot T2
    Hayward S244 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1hp RS1000 Pump
    ------------------
    Leisure Bay Spa - Flores - 500 Gallons
    AutoPilot SpaPilot - Not Yet Installed

7. Back To Top    #7

By unconditioned power you mean not surge protected?

Normally microprocessor's power circuits have voltage regulators and set of capacitors to make sure they get the stable voltage input.

8. Back To Top    #8

Strannik,

That is basically what I meant. And I do agree what what you said.
    IG 18 x 36 Vinyl
    30,000 Gallons
    AutoPilot SWG
    Aquabot T2
    Hayward S244 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1hp RS1000 Pump
    ------------------
    Leisure Bay Spa - Flores - 500 Gallons
    AutoPilot SpaPilot - Not Yet Installed