Need to add salt.

Jojo4A

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Moundville, Alabama
We have had a lot of rain here in West Alabama. Did my full testing and my salt reading is 2600ppm, with a goal of 3000. According to Pool Calculator, I need to add 54 pounds of salt. Couple of questions. 1. I know I need to add salt specifically for pools, I read somewhere it was ok to use the same salt that is used in water softening systems. Is that correct? 2. Do I just dump the salt in the pool?

FC 3.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 120
CYA 70
Salt 2600

I use the Solar Salt from the hardware stores ... about 60% of the cost of the "pool" salt. The pool salt is just ground up a little more so it dissolves faster. The solar salt still dissolves in a matter of minutes. Just dump it in and brush it around.

You do not want any salt that has any additives (rust inhibitors, etc).

When ever you add salt to the pool make sure the SWG is turned off for a day. You don't want the cell get exposed to a high amount of salt at any time. Just add bleach for a day while the SWG is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.