New Build and Upgrades - Dallas, TX

Sep 5, 2012
Will try to keep it short. Have been lurking for a long time and posting on another site. This one seems to have more action.....so here it goes!

Original Estimate:

Dallas, Texas
Pool/Spa
Surface Sq ft: 450
Perimeter: 90
Pool Size: 30' x 15' (straight line)
Depth: 3.5'-5'-4' (sport)
16,031 Gallons
Gunite
1 bench, 1 sun deck
Filter: Jandy 48 sq ft DE filter
Circulation Pump: Stealth Pump 2 hp
Chlorine Dispenser: Rainbow 320
Computer Center: Jandy PDA PS4 (pool/spa)
Heater Size and Electronic Ignition: Jandy LRZ400 Natural Heater
Cleaning System: Polaris 280
Spa: 8 Jets, 1 fountain, Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower included
2 skimmers, 5 returns, 2 safety main drains
1 500W pool light, 1 100W spa light
Coping: OK Flagstone

Estimate: 40k

We upgraded to SWCG and switched to Tennessee Flagstone. Also changed to a 2 speed pump.
Took it to just under 43K.

I've now asked the PB if we should look at LED's and extending the Tenn Flag coping from 12" to 18" - the pool is surrounded by grass with no decking except the front.
He said the LED's are pretty nice, but only I would know if it was worth the nearly 2k upgrade for 3 of them (1 spa, 2 pool).
He also said to go from the 12" to 18" would cost an extra $1,400, but he didn't comment on wether he thought it was necessary.

What are your thoughts? Are LED's worth it and should I switch to the 18" coping?

Here is a youtube render of the pool so you can see layout and yard. The mountains in the 3d render are MUCH nicer than the mountains in my backyard here in Dallas Texas! :lol:

[youtube:2sfg9cen]J_LcLcYW3JU[/youtube:2sfg9cen]

Thanks for any and all advice!

Not sure if they are removing the Rainbow or not. Will ask. I know they need to chlorinate the pool for the first month before turning on the SWG but I assume floaters would do the job.
Heater is for both spa and pool.

Just let them install the standard incandescent lights and then buy your own LED/color change screw in bulbs and change them yourself - I changed two small and one large for less than a few hundred bucks

I would say yes to the flagstone. About 1/3 of our pool does not have deck up to the coping and we did about 18 in of small stones with flagstone pavers so there is a path around the pool. I would not want grass real close to the pool edge just so when you mow you don't get alot of clippings into the pool. We have the LED color lights and really like then color shows!!

PS - wish i could find that mountain view too!

Oops....just saw this should be probably be in the "under construction" section..... Darn newbies.

I have also asked about stepping stones around the coping to see price difference.

Thanks!

I will say that either 12" or 18" is not very much space! You're going to get a lot of grass blown into the pool when you mow. I wouldn't want to edge around those square pavers!!

The nice thing about the expensive LED lights is that they can be synchronized and different light shows displayed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! I had 5 PB bids, and every bid included some kind of decking around the perimeter of the pool. Grass that close might be an issue like partypond said.

I would absolutely do the LED lights. They are beautiful at night...

It looks great! Good luck!

I'm not worried about edging around the pavers, that's my wife's problem.............. JUST KIDDING.
Our yard isn't the biggest and we wanted to keep as much grass as we could. I guess if its a problem, we could always add decking later.

I assume clippings in the pool is more of a negative cuz it just means more cleaning, correct?

My pool is somewhat similar to yours in design. We ended up going with travertine coping because we were concerned that the salt could damage the flagstone that we originally planned to use. It all depends on how soft your flagstone is--I've had friends who have had horrible experiences with flagstone and salt. Our travertine was way more expensive, but it looks great and seems much harder than flagstone. We also sealed it well and after about 18 months with the SWCG I've seen no damage to the travertine.

Grass does surround about half of my pool (up to the coping) and each week I spend a few minutes cleaning grass out of my pool. Not a huge problem, but just expect it.

Also, I originally had the Rainbow 320 feeder, but I removed it when I installed the SWCG. I probably should have left it attached in case I ever needed to use pucks on a short term basis. With the normal amount of rain we've had this year I've had to top up my CYA several times so using pucks on occasion, at least in my case, would not be a problem.

Finally, I wish I had a two speed 2 HP pump. I need the higher HP for my spa and water feature, but we don't use them very often. Lower speed would work just fine most of the time and it would save money on electricity.

I think 12" would be pretty narrow. It wouldn't be wide enough to walk on when using a leaf net or vacuuming, and you might end up with worn-down spots in the grass. 18" is still pretty narrow, but might mitigate some of that. Typically decking is at least 3' for that reason.

It won't make a difference. I have a large deck and wide tile work around my pool and the clippings still get in. And, I have a raised coping with a slot between the deck and coping, so you'd think that would catch it all, but no.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.