Weir level in skimmer ?

Jul 8, 2011
SW MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Finally got the pool up and filled in time for Labor Day weekend. Started filling almost a year to the day after we dissasembled from it's old home. This is my first pool with a skimmer and the water flow through it doesn't seem very strong. I have strong flow out of the return, ripples 1/3 of the way across the pool towards the right side with the eyeball angled up only slightly. We have a counterclockwise lazy river. When the pump is on the weir lays flat, when the pump is off it pops up and closes. The foam on the back appears old and somewhat crushed. Should there be any intermediate position between full down and full up? If I hold the weir up about an inch the flow across the top sure seems to be better. I'm wondering if I need a new weir or new foam on the weir? I have a spare weir with no foam on it and some packing foam I could attach to it, but thought I'd check here first.

This site is great, after the first year with a ring pool and much research here I gained the confidence to take on this pool build myself. After equipment and financial setbacks we're finally up and going. Still have backfill and landscaping to do, along with a deck build, all in due time.

You could partially control your flow with adjusting the water level.

However, I think I would simply glue a small block of Styrofoam on the back of the weir so it could only lower until the Styrofoam touches the throat of the skimmer.

If the flow is very strong, then the weir may lay pretty flat ... although sounds like your foam may be a little weak. You may get better surface skimming if the door floated a little higher ... worth a try if you already have supplies on hand.

I see Dave has offered a good suggestion as well.

The weir should float just under the water level when the pump is on.

That's kind of what I thought it should do from the descriptions I'd read of how it should operate, but I hadn't seen anything specific about the level.

simply glue a small block of Styrofoam on the back of the weir so it could only lower until the Styrofoam touches the throat of the skimmer.

I like this idea as a quick way to test it, maybe a semi-permanent solution. I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions. Always good info here.

swimcmp,

Right now there isn't any drop in the water level from the pool to the skimmer. If I manually lift the weir 1/2" I get some water fall effect and the velocity of the water increases. This morning when I turned on the pump the water in the skimmer had a little scum on the surface. That didn't clear off until I lifted the weir that little bit. Here's some history on the pump, when I got it the shaft seal was bad and had locked up the motor. I took it to a local pool store and they replaced the impeller (frozen on shaft) and seal for the price of the parts. The impeller that came off was a 3/4 hp part number and they put on a 1 hp part number. The water on the wide mouth skimmer is at the 2nd screw from the top. With this additional info do you think it would hurt to have a little more lift on the weir?

I don't know of any reason to change the lift of the weir. Not sure why the scum didn't pull into the skimmer with weir in the open position. Actually the purpose of the weir is basically a bug catcher.

I've read here that it is also supposed to help accelerate the water going into the skimmer for better skimming action. Mine now doesn't seem to be doing that until I manually lift the weir a little, then it seems to draw in surface crud from a little further out into the pool.

Should the weir create a small water fall effect? Mine currently does not, I ask because I've never used one before and don't know what normal looks like.

Not really a waterfall effect, but if it is closer to the water level, then more water is pulled from the surface giving better skimming. Sounds like yours if just not buoyant enough at this point for the strength of the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand I have a large pump, but since the whole pool was a freebie I won't complain. If the motor ever becomes economically unrepairable I'll replace it with a two speed. In the mean time, tonight I think I'll try a thin flat rock under the weir to prop it up a bit. If that gives me better skimming action I'll try adding more styrofoam to the back and then rebuilding the spare weir. I'm a DIY type of guy so last resort is buy a new one :)

I lost the foam piece in mine once and believe me, it makes a big difference in how far out it will pull things in from when the weir floats just under the surface as opposed to it laying flat on the bottom of the throat.

I placed the rock under the weir last night and it definitely increased the speed of the water coming into the skimmer. It raised it less than 1/4" and didn't create a waterfall effect, but the surface of the water was roiling a little all the way to the back of the skimmer. Before there was a dead zone at the back of the skimmer, where scum could build up. I'll try different heights using the rock prop and then try duplicating the best action with replacement styrofoam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.