Philadelphia conversion - not nearly as bad as I had feared!

Well, it rained here all day and my FC held at 15ppm from last night, and is still 15ppm tonight. Last night I added 8 lbs. of CYA, and the level seemed to be 70ppm this morning. The "bad" news is that my CCs went from 0.5 up to 1.5 during the day. I was hoping that I was going to get away without replacing my grids, but I can't seem to get my CCs down to 0, or at least below 0.5 for more than a day. If my CYA is really that high, what level of FC should I shoot for to keep shock levels? I'll give it another few days, and then I'll just try to balance everything and order new DE grids. My TA is 100ppm, and pH tested at 7.2 when the FC was down a few days ago. The water still looks great - so much better than last summer.

I'm waiting on the salt test strips so I can add the salt to my pool in preparation for getting the SWG hooked up this weekend.

Okay - I've kept the FC level up for a few days. Here are the numbers as of this evening (salt will go in the pool tomorrow).

FC = 12.5
CC = 0.5
pH = 7.5
Salt = 590
CYA = 60
TA = 140
CH = 50

I haven't put any bleach in since yesterday morning, and that was only about 3 quarts to bring FC up to 20. I have the Aqua Rite XL SWG ready to be installed tomorrow. What should I do to the water before I get that running (besides adding 390 lbs of salt)?

The recommended levels for this unit are FC of 1.0 to 3.0, salt 3200, CYA - 80, TA = 80 to 120, CH = 200 to 400

You are basically OK where you are, aside from needing salt. TA is a bit high and that is likely to cause the PH to rise more that you will like, so lowering TA is a good idea, but no rush on that. CYA could come up a tiny bit but that doesn't really matter. I would target FC of 4 once the unit is installed and working.

Also, you should probably add say 80% of the salt and let that circulate overnight and see where that gets you. Your calculation is right, but there can always be unexpected results. Better to have to add more salt later then to add too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.