Schocking - But Pool is Leaking

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I started the shocking process on Monday. It was just after a pool party. Here are my numbers.

9/3
12:00pm
FC: 15.5
CC: 1
Added enough bleach to raise me to 24FC

7:36pm
FC: 24.5
CC .5

9/4
5am
FC: 23
CC: .5
Added bleach to maintain me at 24FC

8pm
FC: 15
Added bleach to raise to 24FC

10pm
FC: 25 (oops. must have added a smige too much)

9/5
6am
FC: 23
CC:.5

My question is: I noticed on Monday there was some water pooling on the backside of our pool. Thought it may be residual from all the splash over during the party. On Tuesday the puddles have gotten worse and I have been loosing an inch(if not more) of water a day. I have had to patch holes in this area of the pool so I recognize the signs of big leaks.

I have had to add water twice during the shocking process to keep the water at a safe level for the return and pump. Could the leaks be causing my number drops? Is it possible to effectively shock the pool with the pool leaking?

It is possible to shock the pool with it leaking but it's not optimal. Losing water won't affect your levels but replacing lost water will.

Depending on how much water you're having to replace (% wise) it can have a decent effect on the amount of drop in FC you see.

Thanks. I guess I will just keep going until my overnight chlorine level is 1 or less. I think I will also add CYA to help with my daytime loss.

I just hate to stop the shocking process so I can get in and patch the pool, only to start it again.

On the upside, other than needing a vacuuming, my water has never been so blue and clear. I could see a quarter clearly through this water it is so clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.