Keeping leaves out of skimmer

Hi everyone,
I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but i am wondering what people recommend for keeping leaves from building up in the skimmer basket?
I am going to be going away for 12 days, i have someone keeping an eye on the pool, but we have a tree right over our pool and i am concerned about leaves filling up the skimmer basket.

I created an external filter, similar to the picture below with pvc piping and plastic netting material. It seems to work ok for now, but i tested it by putting a cloth all over the whole thing, even the bottom, and i found that it took about 10 secs to it to run dry. I am sure it will never get that bad, but i still have it on on mind.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks

Attachments

• PoolSkimmerGuard.jpg
    PoolSkimmerGuard.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 198
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 192
Do you also have a floor drain? If so, leave the skimmer and floor open so if the skimmer clogs, water will pull from the floor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Do you also have a floor drain? If so, leave the skimmer and floor open so if the skimmer clogs, water will pull from the floor.
This topic is confusing me, isn't this valve configuration the normal for a pool? I don't understand why both the skimmer and floor drains wouldn't be open all of the time.

There are a few different ways that pools seem to be plumbed. And there are many pools that do not even have a floor drain.

If the floor is plumbed to the skimmer (both of my pools have been this way), then you need a float diverter in the bottom of the skimmer to allow suction from the floor if the skimmer clogs or the water gets too low.

Or the better way is that both the skimmer and floor are plumbed separately to the equipment pad with a valve to adjust where the suction comes from.

jblizzle said:
There are a few different ways that pools seem to be plumbed. And there are many pools that do not even have a floor drain.

If the floor is plumbed to the skimmer (both of my pools have been this way), then you need a float diverter in the bottom of the skimmer to allow suction from the floor if the skimmer clogs or the water gets too low.

Or the better way is that both the skimmer and floor are plumbed separately to the equipment pad with a valve to adjust where the suction comes from.

Thanks for the clarification Jason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.