AutoPilot/Intelliflo VF/Suntouch setup

I plan on using the Pool Pilot SWCG and an Intelliflo VF for my new pool. I have a question regarding the pump timer feature of the Dig-220. Can I use the internal timers on the Intelliflo VF to control itself and the pump timer on the Pool Pilot to control the booster pump for my Polaris 280? Would this setup be effective? Will the Pool Pilot be able to turn the booster on for just a couple hours/day and continue generating chlorine for the remaining filter cycle when it isn't telling an outside pump to run?

I'm trying to get the most use/versatility out of a minimal automation system (SunTouch) for a pool only setup with a single waterfall feature. I'd like it to be able to control one or two valves and two light circuits only. If the intelliflo controls itself, and the Pool Pilot controls the booster/robot, that would leave everything available on the SunTouch to control switching the waterfall on/off and a couple lighting circuits correct?

Does this seem like a reasonable/efficient setup? Or should I let the SunTouch control the filter pump too?

If I don't use the SunTouch, I'll likely try to interface a Jandy RS8 into the same setup. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks...

The PoolPilot will only generate chlorine when it thinks that the pump is on, so if you use it to control the booster pump it will only generate chlorine when the booster pump is on, probably not the best setup.

The Sun Touch can control an IntelliFlo, however you then lose the VF features and are reduced to the VS feature set on the pump. This might still be a good idea if you are using two different pump speeds for normal circulation and when the waterfall is on. Without the pump control the SunTouch won't be able to change the speed on the pump when the waterfall is turned on.

The SunTouch system isn't very flexible. You already need more features than it has and in the future you are going to want to add even more to it (everyone always ends up adding more lights or something like that eventually).

I keep coming back to this same conclusion too...

Regardless of SunTouch or a more powerful automation system, there has to be some way to trick the PoolPilot into thinking a pump is running, otherwise there is very little point in using a variable speed pump like the Intellflo, no?

If I go with a Jandy system, I'll have to use the Intellicom with the Intelliflo (additional $420). I'm not fond of the actual Pentair automation systems and will stay away from them if possible, but I really like their pumps.

I wonder if AutoPilot has any plans to get into this market? Seems like they will lose business with the PoolPilot because of it's limited ability to interface with other units and lack of creative controls. I know the Dig-220 will communicate with the Jandy unit, but loses the features that make it unique. If you do that, might as well go with the other guys SWCG...

I guess I need to call the tech lines for Pentair, AutoPilot and Jandy.

Wonder if I could get them all on a conference call to hash it out... <cough>

Program the Pool Pilot for TWO SPEED PUMP, then the chlorine generator portion will run the whole time the unit is energized.
THEN, wire your booster/cleaner pump to the HIGH SPEED wiring, as shown in the installation manual.

This configuration will allow chlorination whenever the main filter pump is on, and allow the booster pump to be ran off the internal relay of the Digital unit.

There...no "discussion" or conference call needed. 8)

Poolsean said:
Program the Pool Pilot for TWO SPEED PUMP, then the chlorine generator portion will run the whole time the unit is energized.
THEN, wire your booster/cleaner pump to the HIGH SPEED wiring, as shown in the installation manual.

This configuration will allow chlorination whenever the main filter pump is on, and allow the booster pump to be ran off the internal relay of the Digital unit.

OK this answers a big question for me and gives some flexibility to use the Intelliflo VF on it's own timers or with a Jandy RS8/Intellicom controller.

I guess I could wire the booster through the PoolPilot -OR- the RS8 and still have no problems generating chlorine. Just have to overlap the timers enough to be safe. They do all have battery backups on their time clocks in case of power failure correct?

Are there any additional features with the Total Control system regarding timers or interfacing? I'm still considering upgrading due to my crazy work schedule and tossing the idea between the Dig-220 and Total Control.

Thanks again...

I would only add that if you think that you may upgrade to the Total Control down the road, you want to start with the 75003 Digital unit, instead of the DIG-220. Different part numbers for the similar system but there are differences in hardware and software that allows integration of the Total Control system. The DIG-220 will not allow upgrade to the Total Control system.

Thanks Sean,

I am aware of that difference. I've been working with Josh at SaltPoolGuys and we've discussed it somewhat.

I'm just trying to get all my details right before I buy everything and be sure I can get these multiple manufacturers items to work together properly. I guess I'm looking for the best of all worlds with regards to equipment instead of just staying brand specific.

I think the Jandy RS8 is likely the automation system I'll use now, but need to educate myself a little further on that one...

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had similar questions about the pump/swg/automation system. I am not however putting a cleaning system but have 4 water sprays I would like to control without constantly going to the pump system to do so. I was thinking of adding a easytouch/intellitouch????system(not sure which). I've tried reading as much as I can but I can't seem to wrap my brain around the lingo.

I'm getting the swg dig220 with 60 cell from salt pool guys, but I had wanted to go with the vf either the 3.2 pump or the 4 speed 4x160. Non of the info I read really helps me with that one either. I don't have a spa or heater (yet) but would like to add a heater down the road, just trying to not have to double back later with the automation stuff. I would like to get it at least semi right to start. Basically I wanted to go with either a dual speed pump or a vs pump to save electricity. Maybe I'm overdoing it since I don't have much to control. Thoughts???

If you can afford it you will be happier in the long run if you get a larger automation system than you need right now. The AquaLogic systems, like the PS-8, are the best reviewed right now, but if you are getting an IntelliFlo the SunTouch/EasyTouch/IntelliTouch systems are worth looking at because they can talk directly to the pump and give you more control/information about the pump on the remote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.