My Results VS Pool Store results

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have been to this pool store several times to get what I have to get at the pool store. It is a individual owned shop and not a chain. Last time I got my testing done they were spot on, this time all test were spot on with the exception of one

They used this to test their water. They stated this thing is supposed to be spot on.

http://www.lamotte.com/waterlink_spin.html

Test Me Them
FC 3 3.82
CC 0 0
TC 3 3.82
pH 7.8-8 8

CH 225 146(Machine) 120(Drop Based) This had me worried so I tested my sample 250(10ml) 220(25ml) sample. I know using the 10 ml sample is +/- 25 so I went with 225

CYA 45 36 One time I got 50 when I did it and the next time I got 40, so went with 45

So they are pretty much spot on with the exception of CH. Is there any reason they would be so far off testing with the machine and a drop based test? I couldnt tell if they used a 25 ml sample or a 10 ml sample. If they used a 10 with the drop based test it would be much closer, but still way off.

Of course for all results I am going with my results as I trust mine more than their. Good to know that there is a pool store that understands actually how to test.

I think you have got the re-assurance you need that you are testing correctly, now do yourself a favour and don't get your water tested there again ;-) as for the difference in the CH levels I am at a loss, but validation for what anyone will tell you on here about sometimes wildly inaccurate pool store test results.

Regards
Stuart

Stuamurr said:
I think you have got the re-assurance you need that you are testing correctly, now do yourself a favour and don't get your water tested there again ;-) as for the difference in the CH levels I am at a loss, but validation for what anyone will tell you on here about sometimes wildly inaccurate pool store test results.

Regards
Stuart

I always test my own water, but about once a month I take a sample in there for kicks just to see how good they are at testing. They never try to sell me anything I dont need since I hardly ever need anything from there. I always know what I need before I go in so they will never get the chance to sell me something I dont need.

just for the record, not all pool stores need to be lumped in together. where i live, we have an excellent pool store that provides great service, dependable test results and very competive prices. they know that i use liquid chlorine only and have never tried to tell me that it is the wrong way to go. believe it or not, there are good people in the pool industry.

diverman57 said:
just for the record, not all pool stores need to be lumped in together. where i live, we have an excellent pool store that provides great service, dependable test results and very competive prices. they know that i use liquid chlorine only and have never tried to tell me that it is the wrong way to go. believe it or not, there are good people in the pool industry.
In the interest of recommending methods that work for 99% of pool owners, lumping all pool stores as something to be avoided is somewhat necessary and prudent. Of course there's always exceptions to the rule but they are just that--exceptions. My pool store never tries to sell me unneeded items but what they think I need and what I actually need are usually two different things. I don't ask their advice and just get what I need. We have a good relationship on those terms.

As for testing, I know for certain that my test results are superior to the pool store. Even if they use the same methods the fact that I'm not in a hurry, there's not 5 people behind me waiting for tests and the same person is always performing those tests gives me the edge on getting consistent results.

Again, this is not a diatribe on pool stores. It just makes more sense for this board to make a blanket statement as to pool stores. In fact, since going the BBB route, I like my pool store way more now then I ever did before.

exactly yeggim, just learn what you're doing and you don't need their advice. i just need their chlorine that sells for $3 a gallon everyday. i just don't believe in blanket statements as there are always exceptions.

Diverman57, if you found a pool store you can trust, then you are one of the very fortunate few. The sad fact is that yeggim has it right....

yeggim said:
but what they think I need and what I actually need are usually two different things. I don't ask their advice and just get what I need.
Most pool stores have no chemistry knowledge. They are simply authorized dealers for a specific brand of chemicals, and so by default they end up being mouthpieces for said company. I don't think the vast majority are out to intentionally fleece people, but the end result is the same.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

The pool store I go to is run by an individual and his sister in law. Since I have been going there for over a year I have never seen anyone else in there working and the same person always does the testing. The prices on their chemicals is less than others and on my way home from work. Also located about 2 miles or so down the road so easy to get to as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dmanb2b said:
Lamotte's CH is +/-20ppm, but have read about issues with their CH tests reading low. Bottom line, trust the taylor drop based CH test.

I dont know what drop test they used, but when I told them my levels they did a drop based test. When they did this they got 120. Regardless of what their results were I went with mine. Just like to see how accurate they are at testing is all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.