Weighing down pool steps for AGP?

I took the bags (water bags)you use to hold the pool cover down with on an IG pool, and filled them with sand. But this year I think I am going to make some PVC tubes ( got the idea from a post on here, wish I could find that post agian ) and fill with sand.

Poolidiot said:
annak,
Your post is the one I have been looking for :-D Quick question, could you take a close up pic of the ones hanging? Not 100% sure how you did this. Also, how much does each one weigh?

Sure thing, I can get some pictures of how we hang the weights but it'll be a little while. We need to take them out to get those pictures. I'll do it on the weekend, ok?

I have no idea how heavy each tube is. I'll take the scale up to the pool and weigh them. Good questions, that information should be on my Web page.

AnnaK

Our tube system weighs more than that with the five tubes combined. The nice thing is, you can custom make these tubes to fit your own situation, just as long as you get enough combined weight into the steps.

AnnaK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No trouble PI as they have to come out anyway so I can put the pads under them. We set the steps very early this year in order to get one of our dogs into the water. He is 13 and has chronic renal insufficiency with only 25% of his kidneys working anymore. We wanted to get him swimming again as soon as possibly because his prognosis is really, really bad.

So anyway, we sort of slopped the steps in there in mid-April and are just waiting for a good day so we can do a proper job. And honestly, with these sand tubes it's just not a big deal to put them in or take them out. Once the hanging tubes are unhooked the back of the steps gently rises until they sort of sit on the 'nose', tilted up at an angle on the bottom step. Then you just lift them up, using their buoyancy, take out the tubes inside the front step, and lift them out of the water.

It can be done by one person but is much more fun with two people.

AnnaK

lulupalooza said:
Those of you with AGP steps. What do you use to weight it down? The idea of placing 2 40 lb sand bags in the pool doesn't sit well with me. I was thinking of using dumb bells of, but wouldn't they rust???

I ended up using two one-gallon gas cans I bought at WallyWorld, filled them up with creek gravel and water/bleach, and then tied some nylon rope to the handles so I could pull them out at the end of the season without having to get in the pool. My steps have a shelf underneath for the weights. They worked great last year.

How about the bleach bottles we all have in abundance, filled with gravel-bleach + water? Would that work?

Last year I used 2 sand bags. When we pulled them out it was nasty!!! There was all kinds of black, green, brown & white gunk growing on them.

(We were still using Baqua.. and had all kinds of white water mold, and who knows what else in the pool. It was always getting cloudy. After getting pool-stored on top of all that, I found this site and converted last fall.)

Anything that's waterproof and resistant to the water chemistry AND weighs enough would work and would have to be better than bags of sand.

Our steps require 100# of weight and we couldn't fit enough bleach bottles in the available space to come up with that. Diving weights were our next consideration but we were held back by the cost. The PVC tubes were more affordable and allowed us to pack a whole lot of weight into a limited amount of space.

AnnaK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.