Low pressure on DE filter, what could be the problem?

Thanks for the explaining the low pressure suction mechanism.

As an experiment I loosened the lid on the pump basket to create a leak and did run the pump for a moment. With this setup I observed a pressure drop to 4-5psi on the filter gauge, lot's of bubbles in the pump basket and a the water making a washing machine sound. Did not look like it resembles my previous low pressure problem. After tightening the lid again the pump basket is clear of bubbles. I think this makes it unlikely that my original problem was an air leak in the supply line?

Now I'm up at 14psi ! That's after I backwashed the filter, water came out pretty clear, don't think there was much filtration material in there left in the first place. Right after backwash before even reloading the system the pressure was up at 13.5psi, then recharging with the fiber stuff into the skimmer gave me another half point in pressure. I'm at a loss what made the system acting up, hopefully the pressure stays at that range now.

Now the pump is dead! Tried plugging it into another outlet that I know works, still no sign of movement, so looks like its really the motor and no the panel.

Strange, it doesn't make any sound or burning smell. Is there any other fuse build into the motor of these type of pumps that could be the problem?
Or do I need to bite the bullet and the a new pump? Anything one can try?

Thanks. was hoping to get some more days out of the pool, but with the end of the season here going to close it now anyway. Have my pool guy coming to help, and take a look at the pump at the same time.

jblizzle said:
dblko said:
I also noticed when shutting the pump off water splashes back out of the lid that's above the pump basket. Does this indicate anything abnormal?

My old pump did that too ... sprayed all over the place when I shut the motor off. But, when running, it never pulled in air. I guess the suction was enough to seal up the lid.

So ... that could be a problem, but also may not be a problem.

this is funny. my current pump does the same thing too. no leak when running, but when it turns off it sprays for a split second. I will lube or replace my o-ring there too. Coincidentally, my SWG's cell is only filled at 50% capacity with water (the rest is air) when in FILTER mode. when I put the pump in recirculate mode, the cell is filled at 100% water. I wonder if this is what's causing that problem too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.