Not a good pool day :(

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
With drenching rains in my area yesterday, I had to remove some excess water via backwashing several times. I looked at it as a positive to allow an extended backwash to really clean out my sand filter.

This morning... taking out my dogs, I entered the yard and glanced at the pool. I had one of those "my pool is so clean, I can barely see the water" moments... until I suddenly realized that I could not see the water!!! My first thought was that I had somehow left my valve open to backwash, but going to my equipment, I found that the hose from the filter to the return had popped off at the return.

My pool had drained to the bottom of my return. My pump was running all night, both pump and skimmer are empty. There was very little standing water in the area, so I am assuming this happened many hours ago. I am refilling now and hoping for the best regarding my pump.

I did something similar last year. I had my sump pump in the pool to remove extra water after a big rain. It takes about an inch off an hour or so. I unplugged it when I went to bed because it was at about the perfect level but I did not remove pump from pool. Well once primed those pumps will remove water even after unplugging it from the electrical outlet. It pumped water out all night and when I got up my pool pump was running dry. It did no noticeable damage to my pump. Im guessing it ran that way for 4-5 hours at least.

Thanks for the comments... it is giving me some hope that all will be well. A few more hours to go and I'll know. We just sent three kids off to college last week, so there is NO room at all in the budget for an 'end of season' equipment purchase at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.