Help My Pump Had a Premature Death

Sep 4, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I just bought my house a year ago in June. The pump (Pentair Superflo 2 hp) was replaced in May of 2011, right before I bought the house. It has already failed, it just kept getting louder and louder of the last few months. I cannot understand what happened to the pump. It's on a timer, and I was running it approximately 10 hours a day. I followed the previuos owner's instructions and the pool has been great all this time. At any rate, I am not at all handy and am going to replace it this week. My question is what size do I need? I am at 2hp now. With the solar panels and all, do I need a bigger one, could I get by with a lower HP or should it stay the same? Also, I am considering going with the Whisperflo iinstead of the Superflo. Has anyone done that? Thanks in advance. I am so happy I found this forum. :-D

Welcome to tfp, ttiger2012 :wave:

A single speed 2 hp super pump may be large for your pool...but it is certainly large for your filter (assuming the 3.1 you posted in your sig refers to the filter square footage).

Do you have any water features that require that much flow rate...i.e. waterfalls, spa jets, in floor cleaners?

If not, then a 1 hp [s:17ydbybp]superpump[/s:17ydbybp] superflo (or equivalent) may be a better size fit.

Another option you might want to consider is replacing just the motor with a 2-speed motor. The advantage might be saving some money compared to a new pump, and being able to run on low speed to save energy and filter better. Since you mentioned, that you are not handy, this would probably be best done by a pool store.

You say the pump is becoming more noisy...can you describe that?

Thank you for the quick reply. I am running a Polaris cleaner, and my solar heater but no other equipment. When I say loud I mean it is dragging along and sounding extremely loud, like it's dying. It seems like it is hardly doing anything to the water now. My brominator has been leaking some and I think that has been affecting it too. I just ordered a new o-ring for the top. I shut the pump off today because it sounds like it is on it's last leg.

Also, my neighbor is going to replace the pump for me. I could get just a motor I guess, but not sure what 2-speed motor I would purchase for the Pentair Superflo that would be compatible. I can research that. Any ideas where to start? I am trying to get something ordered because the water is looking pretty bad at this point.

Is the noise from the motor (bearings) or the pump (wet end)? Have you checked to see if there is anything clogging up the impeller? Getting just a motor would certainly be the cheapest route. Is your current motor 115V or 230V?

I have the 1HP Superflo and will be using solar ... there is another member who has solar with a 3/4HP pump. Not sure what the cleaner requires as far as flow rate though.

BTW, if you go with a smaller motor, you will also have to get a smaller impeller.

The noise is definitely coming from the motor end. I am going to look up the flow for the Polaris. I think I have the manual for it. I will have to check on the 115 vs 230. I feel so backwards. Have never had to deal with this before but am learning lots.

ttiger2012 said:
I just bought my house a year ago in June. The pump (Pentair Superflo 2 hp) was replaced in May of 2011, right before I bought the house. It has already failed, it just kept getting louder and louder of the last few months. I cannot understand what happened to the pump. It's on a timer, and I was running it approximately 10 hours a day. I followed the previuos owner's instructions and the pool has been great all this time. At any rate, I am not at all handy and am going to replace it this week. My question is what size do I need? I am at 2hp now. With the solar panels and all, do I need a bigger one, could I get by with a lower HP or should it stay the same? Also, I am considering going with the Whisperflo iinstead of the Superflo. Has anyone done that? Thanks in advance. I am so happy I found this forum. :-D

I think it likely that your 2 HP pump is too large for the filter (and probably the plumbing; it's probably 1.5 ", with one skimmer, one main drain and two returns). Consider going to a smaller pump, or possibly a two-speed.
The superflo's are good, the whisperflo's are better (many would argue that they are the best).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.