Smoked salmon receipe

Blowout

May 13, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've used this receipe about 50 times and it seems to please most people...especially when it just comes off the smoker and served with some flatbread crackers.

Nothing too difficult or time consuming...just the way it should be.

Atlantic salmon has been at a great price recently ($4-5/lb in San Jose stores) It seems to hold moisture very nice.

-Fresh orange (We use Cutie oranges sometimes)
-Teriyaki (your choice, but I found a Safeway bulk called Yoshida's we really like)
-Brown suger
-Lemon pepper (This is a good one in a grinder container - Worldmarket orange and lemon pepper)
-toasted sesame seeds (find these in the cultural section of the grocery store to get the best price)

Wash salmon under the tap and place on heavy foil on a baking pan (I found a baking pan to be a great way to transport to the smoker) Smoke it still on the foil.

Squeeze the orange on the salmon first, then add the teriyaki, brown suger and lemon pepper. sprinkle lots of sesame seeds on last.

Smoke about 3-4 hours with your favorate wood (I use hickory). I know it is about ready when the oil extrudes from fish and looks like fat residue around it. The fish gets brown and slightly dry on the surface.

It's easy, healthy and tastes good. This is a great appetizer for a pool party. Bon appetit!

Melt In The Sun said:
Thanks for the recipe! What temp are you smoking at? 3-4 hours seems kinda long for fish, unless it's really cool!

I should have mentioned this is a cold smoke recipe at about 120F. I want the smoke to do the work and less heat. Small amount of coals and a water pan between the fire and the fish. I only use the guage on the smoker that reads warm/ideal/hot. It sits on the high end of warm. If it gets to Ideal, its too hot and I shorten the time. On a sunny day the guage reads in the middle of warm with no fire.

Hope this helps explain better...

Phill

Started drizzling some extra virgin olive oil and toasted sesame seed oil on top before smoking and it adds even more flavor. With the weather cooling off, it can smoke longer and have an even more intense smoke flavor.

I picked up another Brinkman smoker from HD a couple of weeks ago because the other one was falling apart after 20+ years of being left outdoors. Nothing fancy, but it does the job and it's very portable. I'll take some pics when smoke next...maybe this weekend if we get tired of turkey....

Sorry for the late pics... had surgery late last year, but now up a smokin' again!!

Changed up the recipe again...

- 2-3 lbs salmon, wash and blot dry w/paper towel
- rub on layer of brown sugar first
- squeeze lemon juice, 1/2 lemon
- squeeze orange juice, 1/4 orange
- lemon pepper coarse ground
- Italian seasoning (dry type in shaker)
- Drizzle olive oil and sesame oil
- sesame seeds sprinkled on top
no teriyaki this time.

Cold smoke for 4-5 hours with water pan in between, heat on low temp (used mesquite large chunk charcoal, but regular charcoal works fine)
Moist yet has a distinctive smoke flavor. Smoking for a longer time builds the smoke flavor. Neighbor smokes, but only for 2 hrs and wondered how I got so much smoke flavor.

9597652666_761d4efc13.jpg

Nothin fancy, but here it is.... Home Depot special :)

9597736684_4f1986ee38.jpg

Keep temp on the low side
9597732496_12301da31c.jpg

9597727812_a77ec9f234.jpg

9597723420_091b531d4e.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.