Newbie with some questions

I recently bought a house that came with an IG Pool and a Hot Tub. They were part of the big sell, but now I'm realizing how much work they are! Since we had no clue what to do, we went to the local pool store and followed their directions. I already posted in another section about my pool, so I'll post my hot tub info here. I've been reading many of the posts on this site including all of the stickies, Pool School, How to Chlorinate lessons etc. So, I'm at least familiar with what I should be doing. Sort of.

Every day I test the chlorine levels (I chose chlorine instead of bromine because I thought it would be better for going back and forth between the pool and hot tub) and every day they go back to zero, or close to it. So, I usually double the normal dose of chlorine to get it up to around 8-10ppm. Until now, I was only using test strips. I just bought the TF-100 test kit and ran the full gamut of tests today for the first time. Here are my results today without adding any chlorine yet:

Hot Tub:
pH - 7.5
TA - 100
FC - 0.5
CC - 2.5
TC - 3ppm
CH -160
CYA - 65

I'm not sure why there is so much CC, since I add so much chlorine every day (essentially shocking it? I think) It's also very cloudy right now (heavy use the other night during our Labor Day/Housewarming party, minimal use any other day). Before today it was never cloudy.

The hot tub is about 8 years old and a lot of the jets don't seem to work. Either that, or I don't know how they work. I turn them, but they don't seem to do anything. There are some dials on the top that can be turned on, but they're all loose (probably broken) and only one of them actually works. I may look into buying a brand new hot tub in a couple years.

Thanks for any help!

So, I've been shocking it just about every night, but all I had was the dichlor that I was originally told to use by the pool store guys. So, tonight I went out and got some bleach and I'll begin shocking with that instead. Here are the newest test results:

pH - 7.5 (may have been 7.2, I'm not good at judging the pH yet)
CH - 150
CYA - 100 (oh, that silly dichlor!)
FC - 9
CC - 1.5
TA - 110

I haven't added any chlorine (dichlor) since I last shocked 3 days ago. Before this cloudiness issue came about, I would have nearly 0 FC every day. I'm not quite sure why the FC is holding so well now, especially considering there was probably the start of an algae outbreak AND since the CYA level is so high.

So, plugging my numbers into the calculator and going by the shock chart, I need to add 31 oz. of 6% bleach. That seems like an awful lot.

Should I just refill at this point? To get down to a CYA of 40, the calculator says to replace 60% water anyway.

Thanks

JamesG17 said:
Correct. I've been doing the process as much as I possibly can between work, sometimes sleep and an active 2 year old.

I think I'm just going to drain and refill.
Sometimes that seems to be the best option.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.