LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP! It's been a while since I've pestered you fine folks, largely because my new pool has been TROUBLE FREE! :) Unfortunately, the water has also been uncomfortably cool, so we have not been using it much in the last month. ANYWAY...

This is our first closing ever, so this is no doubt my first of many questions, but a search did not reveal anything on this. I'm currently in the shopping stage, so I am weighing mesh against standard winter covers, considering the leaf net, etc, etc. If you veterans have any must-haves or avoid-at-all-costs for me, please hit me with it! Now for my current question:

There is a product out there, the Aquador Closure Plate, as seen at http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers....eric_-_Above_Ground_Pools_--SKU_WSCP1010.html, that promises saving time and money because if used over the skimmer opening, you do not have to drain down. It possesses the magical power of protecting from freeze damage, I assume, because it seals off the opening. This idea speaks to me because we have such a water shortage that emptying the pool several inches makes me cringe. We have a cistern, so adding water to the thing this summer has been a gamble for the family.

So 1, does this work? Nothing in pool school mentions this option. And 2, is it too late for me to use this year anyway? I ask the latter because to install you have to remove your skimmer plate and replace it with the one that comes with the device before snapping it on. I can't imagine that you can remove your skimmer plate if the water is above it. Thanks friends for any insight!

I'm rather curious on everyone's experience with the "skimmer plate" too. :bump:

The idea makes me worry about any plastic parts cracking. Since water would be touching the return/plug and if the skimmer bezel holds the plate on, it would be at risk too.

I have no problem lowering my water level, but if I didn't have to the cover wouldn't be able to hold as much water :) I'm planning to buy a leaf net either way since I refuse to drop leaf gunk in the pool next spring.

Re: buy a "closure plate" ?

The leaf net does sound nice, but it sounds like you've got to time it well. I had assumed you just left it on there all winter, but apparently it can't take the harsh conditions. So you leave it on until you think the leaves are done dropping, but before the first freeze. These are not necessarily two separate things that happen in that order here. So since it costs nearly as much as the cover (only priced one place so far), I was hoping some TFPer in this region could push me off the fence.

No one has experience with the closure plate?

Sent from my iPhone

I know my skimmer plate does not require removing anything, and for the past 6 or 7 years it has been fine. I'll try to remember to take a picture if it when closing the pool, so you can see what it looks like. I really forget what the return plug looks like. I don't remember if I just use one of those black cork things or something fancier. (This is the first year where I am really taking care of the pool, my dad used to do everything and I just helped.)

Re: buy a "closure plate" ?

So this skimmer plate is the same idea as the closure plate In that link? Glad you have responded!! Thanks :) The one ientioned sounds as though once you install it, you would not need to remove anything again.

Can I ask if you use yours to keep from draining down? And since tapatalk does not show me anyone's signatures, what kind of winter does it survive for you?

Sent from my iPhone

As mentioned in the other thread, I use the items below. I grease the seal on the skimmer cover, put it in place and tighten. Then let the water out of the skimmer. I first remove the 2 middle skimmer surround screws and use them to make sure the cover stays in place. I don't have much faith in how it's supposed to stay on so add the screws. It's worked fine for me for the last few years. I live in NH so my pool is usually all ice in late January. I also use a large pillow and winter cover.
http://www.namcopool.com/pool/winterizi ... -plug.html
http://www.namcopool.com/pool/winterizi ... ubber.html

I use Aquador's all the time, it requires you to change the skimmer face plate the first time you use it, so unless you have a friend hold the skimmer in place you will need to drain down the pool on the initial installation. So what you do is use the aquador to block off the skimmer and remove any plumbing from the skimmer, now any water that collects in the skimmer just falls out the bottom. the return line is blocked off with a plug. This really does save water as long as you use an automatic pump to pump any rain water off the cover. If you don't pump the water off the cover the rain water will collect and displace the water out of the pool regardless of the aquador. I never had the aquador break, the only thing that can happen is sometimes when it gets cold it can get a little stiff to pop on (the corners especially)

The one that came with my pool (when I bought this house) is a metal one with a replaceable foam gasket on it.

My skimmer ring has 10 total screws around it. You remove 6 of them, put this metal plate with the gasket in place, and then replace the screws you removed. That seals the skimmer.

This is my first year closing this particular pool, and I am having issues with plugging my return, but this plate seemed to work well late winter when I opened the pool this spring.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: buy a

iSmile said:
The leaf net does sound nice, but it sounds like you've got to time it well. I had assumed you just left it on there all winter, but apparently it can't take the harsh conditions. So you leave it on until you think the leaves are done dropping, but before the first freeze. These are not necessarily two separate things that happen in that order here. So since it costs nearly as much as the cover (only priced one place so far), I was hoping some TFPer in this region could push me off the fence.

No one has experience with the closure plate?

Sent from my iPhone

The aquador may be something I try but my last skimmer plate leaked...I just drop the level now. I also have the leaf net and I do time it right and remove it before the freeze sets in...usually after the first few frosts, the water will melt by the afternoon. Love it and makes pulling the cover in the spring much easier. The real difference is pulling wet leaves off in the late fall vs scooping out slimey smelly leaves in the spring. You can acomplish the same by raking the winter cover in late fall...but I'm too lazy :>)

An aquador is superior to the metal closure plates the've had for years. The problem with the metal plates is that it gets screwed into place, which means every year you unscrew the plate once to install it and again to uninstall it. over the course of a few years the screw holes begin to strip out and then you either don't have a positive seal anymore or you use larger screws and risk damage to the skimmer. The aquador installs once and snaps on and off removing wear from the skimmer screws.

Im in Illinois

I didnt drain my pool down
I used the skimmer face cover that goes inside and is squeezed in, the used a return block on the other end

It is dribbling a little out of the skimmer it didnt seal 100% but i think i will be ok.
the extra water seems to support the cover good also
Ill know more next spring when it all comes off

I didn't do my own closing but did watch the pool guys. In my case there was a skimmer door and gizmo and we did not drain down at all.

I also still haven't gotten a leaf net cover. I had wanted one for the OPEN pool before closing, but hadn't wanted to remove the ladders and diving bd myself since that was part of the service in the pool closing. Five days later, the cover is completely covered with leaves, darned near a foot of them at one end, so now I wish I had gotten one. We'll see if a dry day and a leaf blower nails it this weekend ;)

(on the up side, despite what i thought was boatloads of leaves before this week, I'm lucky it got closed before the wind and rain kicked up this week, because obviously what I was dealing with before was lightweight leaf traffic comparatively!)

Ps, I'm in Michigan. So I know what you mean about leaves and freeze cycle. Last year after we moved in and before we opened the swamp, I used duct tape to attach an extended equipment handle to a giant plastic rake to gently drag the soggy leaves off before they froze permanently. My cover is a solid with the mesh square in the center for drainage. So I doubt the blower will move the one's that collect on the wet mesh square.

Swampwoman said:
I didn't do my own closing but did watch the pool guys. In my case there was a skimmer door and gizmo and we did not drain down at all.

I also still haven't gotten a leaf net cover. I had wanted one for the OPEN pool before closing, but hadn't wanted to remove the ladders and diving bd myself since that was part of the service in the pool closing. Five days later, the cover is completely covered with leaves, darned near a foot of them at one end, so now I wish I had gotten one. We'll see if a dry day and a leaf blower nails it this weekend ;)

(on the up side, despite what i thought was boatloads of leaves before this week, I'm lucky it got closed before the wind and rain kicked up this week, because obviously what I was dealing with before was lightweight leaf traffic comparatively!)

Ps, I'm in Michigan. So I know what you mean about leaves and freeze cycle. Last year after we moved in and before we opened the swamp, I used duct tape to attach an extended equipment handle to a giant plastic rake to gently drag the soggy leaves off before they froze permanently. My cover is a solid with the mesh square in the center for drainage. So I doubt the blower will move the one's that collect on the wet mesh square.

Mine is an ABG pool with a sold cover. I make it a point to syphon off the cover and clear any leaves using the pool brush about every day (maybe 5 times a week). That is about how long it takes me to maintain the pool when it is open, so it really is no change. If I keep the cover dry, the wind takes care of most of the leaves.

The way I see it, it is either an easy 10 minutes or so per day, or a back breaking wet mess that takes hours every few weeks.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.