Made big mistake tonight

Sep 2, 2012
Im new to this site. Just need help with a question; I accidentally added 2lbs of shock to our pool that we've treated all summer with baquacil:(. It is 27 foot round pool with sand filter. Water turned green right away:(. We are getting ready to winterize pool not sure what to do:(

Hi, welcome to TFP! Chlorine in Baquacil makes it turn all kinds of interesting colors. I don't know if you are happy with Baquacil, but if you are not then you have a start toward converting to chlorine! If you want to continue using baquacil you may need to drain some of the water and refill. Most of the questions we get about baquacil are from people converting to chlorine. Hopefully one of our former baquacil users will have more information for you.

Thank you for your response. Although we had planned on converting to chlorine next year, this was truly a rookie mistake. Our pool shop was closed so I thought I could just buy any old shock to rid of the algae growth that had returned. We wanted to rid of it before we winterized. I think we may have to buy a kit, test water, then calculate how much bleach we need to add. Either that or we drain it completely and start with fresh water next year. 800 bucks worth:(

It's a 27 foot round; about 18,000 gallons of water. Checked this morning color is light green and cloudy. Going to take water sample to our local pool store to have tested. Hopefully the baquacil levels are low enough to try to start conversion to chlorine before we winterize. We live in southern tier. Either that or we drain most water start again in spring. Thanks to everyone who has commented appreciate the help/advice very much so:)

If your water will cost $800 then using bleach to convert to chlorine should be much cheaper than a drain and refill. You can always use the winter to stock up on bleach and convert in the spring.

Should we take measures to start conversion now before we winterize? We have a mild couple weeks left in sept. I'm guessing it will depend on how high the water tests for baquacil. We may need tons of chlorine/bleach:(. It would be worth the effort if the water would be better in spring? Or do we just winterize and attack problem in spring? Thank you to all of you:). I feel like major ding-bat for making such a major problem for our new pool. At least we were able to enjoy it from mothers day til now.

If your swim season is over, your most economical approach is to ignore the pool (keep the debris out to an extent) and drain it in the Spring starting fresh with a chlorine pool. It'll be a bit of work, but not that much more than a normal Spring opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water is that expensive, it still may be cheaper to just do the conversion in the spring ... instead of a full drain and fill.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)