Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should you power wash a cartridge filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should you power wash a cartridge filter?

I have a StaRite PLM 150 cartridge filter. I read the sticky that talked about using a brass nozzle, but I has a small gas power washer (2200 psi) and want to know if I can use the power washer on it with out destroying or damaging the filter since they are very expensive to replace. Thanks.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I'd expect you'd cut right through the filter. My pressure washer will groove concrete.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, I have cleaned my cartridges following waterbear's sticky on how to do so and honestly, if you follow those directions, the little brass nozzle is really all that you need. The filters come clean fairly simply with a minimal amount of pressure.

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    A power washer, even with the low pressure nozzle on it, can still damage the polyester fabric of the cart. It is not recommended by any of the major OEM and Replacement cartridge manufacturers.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I use the brass nozzle method as well and I can attest that it is a winner. More than enough pressure and strength for cleaning. You should not need a power washer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner