Chlorine question for my green pool.

ramas

Sep 2, 2012
Worcester, MA
Hi I am new here. Could you please tell me what the comparison to the 5 gallon bucket (the big blue thing I bought at a pool store) of Accu Chlor chlorine is to household bleach. I have been told by my pool store to add all 4 buckets totalling 20 gallons at once and I am hesitant to do so. My above ground 24' pool is green and this is my 3rd process of chemical round to try and clear it. It now has 25 lbs of Alkalinity Rise in the pool and I am thinking of just doing one bucket at a time until it clears up. I only have strips for testing at the moment. I am looking to use your methods instead of the pool store, but since I have the chlorine, I want to use it up some how. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ramas

ramas said:
Hi I am new here. Could you please tell me what the comparison to the 5 gallon bucket (the big blue thing I bought at a pool store) of Accu Chlor chlorine is to household bleach. I have been told by my pool store to add all 4 buckets totalling 20 gallons at once and I am hesitant to do so. My above ground 24' pool is green and this is my 3rd process of chemical round to try and clear it. It now has 25 lbs of Alkalinity Rise in the pool and I am thinking of just doing one bucket at a time until it clears up. I only have strips for testing at the moment. I am looking to use your methods instead of the pool store, but since I have the chlorine, I want to use it up some how. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ramas

turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Look at the container and see what the concentration is. Bleach is/was 6%, seems to be going up to 8or 9 recently in some parts of the country. Pool chlorine is 10% or 12.5% usually. It's all the same stuff, just different concentrations.

Thanks for the replies...It's Accu-Clor Sodium Hypochlorite Solution. Active ingredients are Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% and Inert ingredients 87.5%. I poured one 5 gallon container into the water this evening. I'll test with a strip tomorrow. The chlorine showed very low on a test today.

JamesW said:
5 gallons of 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite will get you to about 45 ppm chlorine, which won't be testable without FAS-DPD.

And is also likely well above shock level which could start damaging the pool and equipment ... what is your CYA?

I agree a recommended test kit would be a wise investment ... adding all 20 gallons would be a horrible idea.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been offline for awhile due to a family emergency. I have been backwashing nightly then adding a 5lb container of the chlorine. The last was added Thursday night totalling 20lbs now added to my pool. It has gone from an awful green to a light pool and a bit cloudy, where as I can only see 4" of the side of the pool liner. I have not brought a sample to the pool store yet to get a number reading, but the test strip today showed the pH was ok. free chlorine was high, total alkalinity was ok stabilizer was low. Not sure what step to take next.

Ok here's my pool water test from today...Free Chlorine - OVR 20.71 ppm/Total Chlorine - same as Free/Combined Chlorine - 0 ppm/pH - 7.7/Hardness - 90 pm/Alkalinity - 154 ppm/Cyanic Acid - 86 ppm/Copper - 0 ppm/Iron 0.1 ppm/Saturation Index - -0.24....The pool guy said he suggests we add a container of Floc to get the cloudiness to settle and vacuum on waste. Add Floc while filter is running and let run for 3 hrs. Then leave pool off for at least 12 hrs and then vacuum on waste. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of chlorine were you adding 5 lbs at a time? That could likely be why your CYA got too high.

jblizzle said:
What kind of chlorine were you adding 5 lbs at a time? That could likely be why your CYA got too high.

"It's Accu-Clor Sodium Hypochlorite Solution. Active ingredients are Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% and Inert ingredients 87.5%."

Thanks

jay87 said:
Your CYA is high so your FC should always be between 7-10ppm. Shock is 35ppm. You might find you spend a lot on chlorine keeping it at those levels, a partial drain and refill to bring it to 50 cya may help

I assume CYA is Cyanuric Acid? Mine is at 86 ppm. They say the recommended range is 50-160 ppm on the print out from the water test today. Is this wrong? My pool is pretty full from rain today too. I will have to drain some out anyway. FYI...we have a well we use for water and we drained the pool before I opened it this year.

Does anyone think I should use the Floc the pool store recommended? Or not use it?

Oh well if you were using liquid chlorine that is good ... never heard it referred to as pounds.

You have to decide if you are going to listen to the pool store or the advice here ... trying both is not going to work ... and honestly the pool store suicide well certainly cost more and may not work.

Read Pool School a few times and get your own good test kit.

Floc is not going to help if all the algae is not dead ... and sometimes it does not help at all anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.