Wow! I finally got my CYA down but a little too far. lol.

Jul 16, 2011
Mesa Arizona
I started BBB when I opened my pool in early March. Opening for me is pretty much just taking the cover off as the winters here in the Phoenix area are mild to say the least. :-D
Well, my levels were pretty far out of whack when I started. At the time, being that I was "pool stored", my chlorine was way too low, my CYA was sky high and my CH was out of sight. The pool calculator said to dump like 3/4 of my water to get the CYA and CH into range but I was too lazy and cheap to do that all at once so I just backwashed a lot. I have a sand filter and per your advice, I started adding a little DE to the filter. It really filters the water well that way but it does cause me to backwash more often, which in the case, is a good thing.
Anyway, with backwashing every couple of days for the last few months, I now have everything in line. My chlorine is of course where I needs it to be, the CH is about 350, TA is actually just a tad low at 60, PH is right at 7.5. I haven't tested for CYA in quite a while because I assumed it was still rather high but this morning I did a full test on everything and my CYA is currently between 25 and 35. Since the CYA test is so subjective, I also had my brother do it. He came up with about 25 and I come up with 35 so lets say it's around 30.
I'm so happy with my pool and all the advice I've received from you guys. The knowledge I've gained from this forum is invaluable to me.
I do have one question though. Since I'm just a touch low on the CYA and I have lots of pucks left from last year, in your opinion, what would the perfect CYA be for my pool considering it's sizzling hot here in Arizona and the pool is in direct sunlight from dawn to dusk?
Again, a big thank you to all you guys for the help and knowledge you provide.

Re: Wow! I finally got my CYA down but a little too far. lol

Seems that many have success with a CYA of about 50ppm. If you keep an eye on things, you can use the pucks to raise it up ... Just make sure the FC stays high enough.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

That's the plan. I'm just curious as to what is the "perfect" CYA range in my case. I have lots of pucks so that's how I'll raise it. It's going to be weird not adding liquid chlorine much for a while but I'll get used to it.

Mesamav said:
That's the plan. I'm just curious as to what is the "perfect" CYA range in my case. I have lots of pucks so that's how I'll raise it. It's going to be weird not adding liquid chlorine much for a while but I'll get used to it.

Im in texas and use 40-50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.