Suction/Return plumbing "High" so it drains for winter?

cavediver

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2011
We're in the build on a DIY 18x36 IG vinyl. I'm starting to run the plumbing for the suction and return lines - using 2" and 1.5" Sch40 pvc.

I was going to run all of the lines back to the equipment pad just overtop of the bond beam with about 2" of dirt on the concrete to protect the pipes from any wear from the rough concrete surface.

But, while I was setting up for this I started thinking that it might be better for the horizontal runs of pipe to be raised up as high as I can get them (but still be under the concrete decking). Basically a vertical drop to "just underground" from the equipment pad then run horizontally to directly above the the return fitting, then down into a 90 and out the fitting.

The thought/theory behind this is that when the pool water level is lowered for the off season (Canadian Winters) that the pipes would be self draining and therefore free from ice damage. especially if the return fittings were above the level to which the water is drained...

The only risk I can see with running the pipes high is the potential for settling of the backfill and stressing the pipes... obviously if they're right over the 8" bond beam then they won't settle too far...

Thoughts - Have I been spending too much time in the sun?

Thx - John :cheers:

so you basically just want to NOT have to vac/blow the lines out when closing? but wouldnt your skimmer lines still have to be cleared as they will not drain on their own, and i would still be skeptical of water in the lines, just trusting that they have drained would not cut it, for me anyway.

I am not too experienced with winterizing but I would want ALL my pipes deep in the ground. Less chance of damage from surface movement. Easy enough to blow them out in just a minute or two when you winterize

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.