What percentage is this muratic acid?

Yeah, no one really knows for sure what percentage it is other than it being <25%...not real helpful. Also, in general it is more expensive then the higher concentration 31.45% stuff. I would just return it and get the full strength stuff. I have never seen any reports of "other extra stuff" in it though, so if your desperate, you could just adjust the poolcalculator result by multiplying by this ratio 31.45/25, and put that much in then measure in 1/2 hour and adjust again if necessary.

kyle11 said:
Also just read where it says not to use with chlorine type bleaches. Does all muriatic acid say this or did I get the wrong thing.
Never mix Muriatic Acid ( of any concentration) directly with chlorine, one of the products is chlorine gas. Adding them separately in a pool is fine however.

Ok thanks linen. I will probably just use this and adjust like you said being it was only $6 for a gallon. Not worth the hassle of returning. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting ph was 7.8 best I could tell. Hard to tell the difference between 7.8 and 8.2. I have added 50 ounces so far waiting 30-45 min between time and it still has not changed. Should I add more or is 30 min enough time?

Also would like to point out I am shocking the pool. I started out with a Ph of 6.8 or so I thought. Added 200 ounces of borax per pool calculator. Then tested today and ph showing 7.8-8.2. Just read oh can show off if chlorine levels are at shock value. Should I wait until the morning before adding any more ma?

That is very weak muriatic acid. I got something similar at HomeDepot as they don't carry the higher concentration here in Durham NC. I ended up adding 6 cups to lower pH .5pp. I realized it was weak when I opened the bottle and couldn't smell anything. Good thing tho...it's so weak I was able to use straight up to clean deck chairs this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am wondering the same thing . I Bought Muriatic Acid from Home Depot it says :
Hydrogen Chloride......... 14.5%
Inert ingredients..... .........85.5 %
Total ...............................100%

How do I read this on the pool calculator my guess was 14.5 %
I just want to check here that I am using the right number on the pool calculator ?
Thanks

I can tell you it takes almost twice as much Walmart brand to see a difference in pH. We were trying to figure out why my pH would not go down after using the prescribed amount of MA.. Until I used the "good stuff!

Because of the difference in strength, MA is the one item that I find is cheaper at the pool store than anywhere else. It's twice as strong as the big box stores and cost about $5 per gallon.

WHen you say stronger MA what should I be looking for ?
For sure I will try and find it more then what I have now which is 14.5 percent which I think I bought at Home Depot

The pool stores in my area carry either 30% or 31.5%. Lowes and Home Depot carry 15%. The price is about the same.

nomad26 said:
WHen you say stronger MA what should I be looking for ?
For sure I will try and find it more then what I have now which is 14.5 percent which I think I bought at Home Depot

It will say on the jug - 31%

WARNING - Don't stand downwind when you open the bottle. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.