Distance for hard plumbing agp?

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
We were discussing the deck we're about to start and I decided I don't like where the pump/filter is sitting. If we are going to move it, better now before the deck is done. If we hard plumb, how far can it be moved from the pool without effecting the flow or water pressure? It will be basically level with where it is now or we could raise it but it will not be downhill. Thoughts? Thanks!

Oh and the pvc lines will be running under the deck. So we could support them on the underside of the deck and run them straight across from skimmer to pump and from filter to return. Instead of down 3 ft to the ground, across to the pump, then down 2 ft from filter, across, and back up 3 ft to return. Would that help with pressure not having all the vertical changes? The distance is about 20ft. Thoughts? Thank you!

erivette said:
how far can it be moved from the pool without effecting the flow or water pressure?
The longer the runs, the slower the flow rate so any distance will affect the flow rate. Also, the specific vertical routing is not all that important as long as you keep fittings to a minimum.

erivette said:
It will be basically level with where it is now or we could raise it but it will not be downhill.
I wouldn't raise the pump too much or you could have priming issues. Many AG pumps require a flooded suction so they will work much better when kept well below the water line.

You want to move the pump 20'? I can't see that being a problem, I have way more than that to the back end of my solar panel and part of that is vertical to the garage roof and the pump is 1 hp.
I'm no expert but I can't see a 1.5 hp pump having a problem with 20'.

As Mark said - most above ground pumps need to have your pump below the water level so they auto-prime, but other than that - dropping all the other verticals should help (at least theoritcally).

If you're using an inground pump (or an AGP that is rated ) - then you can put your pump above water level with few to no issues.

It will be below water level. The ground is level from current location to where I want to move it. I simply never planned for adding a deck when I had the installer place the skimmer/pump by a patio for convenience. If I could just spin the pool 180 degrees LOL. If moving behind the deck will effect flow rate I will adjust the deck. Will it help at all running the pvc horizontal up under the deck rather than using all the 90 degree turns to run it along the ground? Thanks for the help!

I would not focus so much on the routing as I believe the impact would be minimal. Just run the pipe the most convenient and out of the way as much as possible.The biggest and most important factor will be the pipe size. 2" pipe will have 1/3rd the head loss of 1.5" pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.