Need to add chemicals - What order to do it?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I tested my water with the tf-100 and I now need to add chemicals. My Fc was 1.5, CC was 1, CYA was 43 and my ph was 8.2 I know i need to raise my cya and chlorine, and lower my ph. My question is: what order do I add the chemicals? Also, we are having a pool party for my daughters birthday tomorrow. How long does it take for the pool to be swim able after adding these?

Thank you!!

How does your water look?

At 43 ppm cya (how did you test this?), your FC level should never go below 3 ppm or you risk not adequately sanitizing your water. The CC of 1 ppm suggests that you do have something growing your pool, and that you need to do the shocking process. I would bring your pool up to your shocking level and do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test linked to in the above article tonight to see where you are. BUT...before raising your FC level I would drop your ph level down to 7.2-7.4, then raise the chlorine level up.

If you are trying to swim tomorrow, and your water looks good, you could do this and then shock the pool after the party....

1. Lower pH down into the 7.2 - 7.4 range using muriatic acid.

2. 30 minutes later, add enough chlorine to get to around 8-10ppm

3. Tomorrow before the party, Test FC again and add enough to get to around 8-10ppm again if it has dropped.

That's fine to swim in provided your water is clear.

Once the party is over, you should do a full set of tests and if that 1ppm of CC is still there, it's time to shock the pool as Linen has suggested.

Background: our pump died a week ago. Prior to that our ph(7.8) and chlorine(4-6) were acceptable. But I don't think I ever added enough CYA, considering we have a SWG. It has always been in the 40's. Then again, all of these test results were via the pool store.

To maintain the water while we were waiting for the pump, I have been having pool store test my waters, adding bleach, and scooping out debris.

There is some dirt in the bottom of the pool, and floating on the top. I can see clearly though the water though. The sides don't feel slick and I don't see any algae. To test the CYA I followed the instructions that came with the tf100 kit(so excited to finally have this kit!!). I suppose I could have tested wrong, since even the directions say can take some time to test this correctly.

So if I add MA this afternoon (using the amounts the pool calculator gives me) how long do I wait before adding enough chlorine to raise it to shock level? Should I add more CYA at the end of the process?

So if I add MA this afternoon (using the amounts the pool calculator gives me) how long do I wait before adding enough chlorine to raise it to shock level? Should I add more CYA at the end of the process?

Wait 30 minutes as I indicated above. I suggested less than shock level because I am saying you can delay the shock process, but if you want to shock now (and have to continue to shock thoughout tomorrow) then Linen's advice should be followed.

You still haven't told us how your water looks.

Should I be concerned about people swimming in it prior to shocking, even if I scoop, vacuum, bleach to 10ppm, and hold at 10 ppm?

Worst time ever to have our pump break.

EDIT:

If is not safe, should I just drain the pool and refill? Everyone is showing up tomorrow expecting a pool party.

Should I be concerned about people swimming in it prior to shocking, even if I scoop, vacuum, bleach to 10ppm, and hold at 10 ppm?
No, that's why I suggested it.

As long as you keep FC up around 5+ppm, your pool will be sanitary. If you can get it cleaned up (what in the world is floating on the top?) so it is presentable and not murky, it is sanitary to swim in.....I wouldn't swim in a pool with dirt on the bottom and dirt-like stuff floating on it, though.

I think it is just fine dust floating on the top. Our backyard has recently been under construction, leaving a large dirt area about 6 ft from the pool. The fine dirt gets all over everything.

I do have one worry though - I just went out and smelled the water. And it is starting to smell a little off. Now I am freaking myself out, because I know this means I have algae in there somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave and Linen's advice is sound, if you are worried about sanitary conditions dose enough bleach into your pool to bring it north of 10ppm until your party, hoover the bottom to waste and then once the party is over you can start the Shock Process and OCLT test in earnest.

By the book you can shock to 24 today and tonight and let it drop before your party tomorrow, anything under 24ppm FC tomorrow is fine to swim in, I'd go with Dave's recommendation for getting you through today and tomorrow.

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.