West Monroe, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'm in the process of replacing the motor on my Hayward Super II Pump (1 hp). What are the pros and cons of running it 24/7 or on a timer; besides the amount of electricity. I've always heard that starting and stopping electric motors is what "kills" them.

The motor I'm replacing ran for at least 2.5 years before getting hot and cutting off. The only time it's been turned off was during power outages. I do not know the true age of the pump because I got it from a pool guy to replace what seemed to be the original "Seablue" pump that I assume was ~25 years old. It was replaced due to lack of suction from years of use.

''A motor should last longer than 2.5 years.'' even if it runs 24/7/365? lol
Cant find the article, a study showed instead of having filter/pump on lets say 6 hours a day non stop, that it would clear water up better if filter/pump were on 4hours then stop then later another 4hours.
Jason, would this be harful to pump in long run? thinking about trying it out.

marty said:
''A motor should last longer than 2.5 years.'' even if it runs 24/7/365? lol
Cant find the article, a study showed instead of having filter/pump on lets say 6 hours a day non stop, that it would clear water up better if filter/pump were on 4hours then stop then later another 4hours.
Jason, would this be harful to pump in long run? thinking about trying it out.

Probably nit picking but 6 hours vs. 8 hours isn't a fair comparison in this case is it? It would be interesting if two 3 hour runs did a better job than a single 8 hour run or single 6 hour run - but if two four hour runs are better than one 6 hour run - that's not all that surprising.

I don't know exactly how old the motor was that I replaced last week; I got it second hand about 2.5 years ago. One thing that I have hard before is that starting up an electric motor is what taxes them most. Whether that's true or not, I don't know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.