Can this really get any worse?

lulupalooza

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Evans, GA
Hi all!

Well, after finally getting the pool full of water. I am now facing another set of issues. Last night we plugged the pump into the very shoddly done electical outlet and WHAM! Seen a flash up by my AC unit and the pump immediately shut off and wouldn't cut back on. So I ran a drop cord and plugged into AC outlet on the side of the house and it ran fine. Only other problem is that water was spewing from the hose to the pump housing. But DH and I are going to replace all the hosing with PVC pipe like on an I/G. As far as the electrical outlet is concerned. I didnt think you could hook up to the AC unit and that wasn't suppose to be done- he came while I was gone and this is what I came home to. Was suppose to run it to the electrical outlet that was pre-existing on the outside of the house. His excuse was that it was to hard. BTW this dude works for the pool company. I am going to make him redo the entire thing I don't want it hooked to my AC unit. We replaced our AC/Heating system 3 yrs ago

Anywhere here are the pics. I don't think this is up to code. Arrrhhhhh

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

Well I am an Electrical professional, and that electrical work is not only unprofessional but is also NOT to code. How did you pass inspection? I would demand to see his license and if he does not have one I would turn him into the city, I would also have someone other then him check your AC unit for any damage, I would also tell the PB that he is to use someone else that is licensed to redo the work.If this guy does have a license he needs them taken away.Do not let this pass by even if they do fix it.

duraleigh said:
That's pretty rough looking electrical. I'm not qualified professionally, but it looks like you've got some code violations.

I am prettymuch upset with myself since I paid [edit:jjparrish] him already. I was gone most of the day and he showed when I was not a home and did this. Any I am going to clean house come Monday. NOTHING they did was without error.

Poolidiot said:
Well I am an Electrical professional, and that electrical work is not only unprofessional but is also NOT to code. How did you pass inspection? I would demand to see his license and if he does not have one I would turn him into the city, I would also have someone other then him check your AC unit for any damage, I would also tell the PB that he is to use someone else that is licensed to redo the work.If this guy does have a license he needs them taken away.Do not let this pass by even if they do fix it.

There is NO inspection. I called the county and asked before hand did we need a permit of anykind. And none was required. Only that the ladder be removed when the pool was not in use. I am going to find out who is the owner of this company. I am really quite disappointed by this entire ordeal to say the least.

The orange drop cord is what I put there to see if the pump would run and that is how its running right now. But still it shouldn't be hooked to the AC I feel. If the pool shorts out something wouldn't it affect the AC unit?

lulupalooza said:
There is NO inspection. I called the county and asked before hand did we need a permit of anykind

Well there is STILL the NEC that has to be followed and any real electrition would know that

. If the pool shorts out something wouldn't it affect the AC unit?

Yes and that is why I said I would have someone come check out your AC unit at the PB cost.

The most likely thing that will happen is that the circuit breaker will trip, turning off the AC. However, it is remotely possible that the AC wiring or the AC it's self could be damaged. What I can see in the pictures is very very wrong and it worries me that there could be worse things wrong that we can't see in the pictures. You should turn the AC breaker off, if it isn't off already, until a licensed electrician fixes it.

Underground romex right out of the side of the switchbox, directly into the ground, ran to an outlet that is almost set on the ground. Any rain will trip it. I would put a post in and mount it to it, along with a switch to be able to turn it on and off. I put mine through the pad that I poured to set my pump and filter on.

A/C units are usually 220V; if the jackleg didn't know what he was doing, he possibly wired the pump across the two phases, which would explain the arc when you turned the pump on.

The electrician that installed my feed drove a steel mounting post in the ground and attached the outlet box to it. I didn't much like that setup, so I pulled the steel post out, planted a piece of pressure-treated 4x4, mounted the outlet to it, and added a switch to control the outlet, too. I didn't set the post in concrete, though. so far, so good.

Well the jackleg came yesterday and disconnected from the AC unit,so everythng is just laying where it's at. He was suppose to come back today and re-do everything. But I have called and called to no avail. Finally he called after I called the shop looking for him and with an attitude said that the day isn't over yet that he's waiting to finish a job and get some money to come re-do mine. Point is that for the past 2 weeks I have literally put everything on hold, even missed 3 days of work for something that I was told would take 2 days, 3 tops! Jerkleg said and that I didn't need to be there when he came, if he comes today.

Well, I have tried to verify his electrician license with the name he gave me and in GA its a no go and in SC the only thing that comes up is a burgler alarm license in Charleston. This is not a good sign at all! Just like I can't practice real estate without having that state license. He can't do electrical work without having that states license!

So tomorrow I am calling the owner of the company. I just texted the jerkleg and said I was unable to verify his license and to please produce it when he comes back out. Guess who called within 30 seconds,LOL :)

I just want this all done and overwith so we can hopefully start enjoying the pool without any problems. Is that so much to ask????

Sorry for the rant, but this is not what I expected at all. Just my luck I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
whoozer said:
Lulu, for everyones info here in the SC and GA did you use the co. I warned you about. If so let us know as this will be a double confirmation to steer clear of this co. :cry:

Yes, It was Griffin Pools and Spas. I know they have 4 or 5 locations in the Columbia/Lexington, SC area as well as one in the Augusta, GA area.

BOTH the pool installer and the guy doing the electrical came like ASAP ( THEY JUST LEFT!) after I said I was going to call the owner if I was not completely finished with all of this by tomorrow evening. Only thing left is to complete the electrical, (took care of the box on the house. I told him I want a 4x4 with the green metal lock box outlet that I seen at home depot and that and the pool light box mounted to that cemented 4x4, fix the pool light and bring me the missing handrail for my smartstep ladder.

The support poles/beams that hold up the wall that had issuses with the off centered pavers has been resolved and is level thankfully!

For the record, in our area there are only 3 companies that do AGP. one of those being Doughboys. And they were well out of our price range, pushing into the 7k +. For that I would start looking at I/G's if I am going to invest that much money. Plus I wanted the option of being able to take down the pool if we ever move and our house turns back into a rental. I did see previous builds/references. The p/b assured me that this is a very rare occurence. I think he was trying to run 2 crews at once and I got stuck with the not so good one, while the p/b and the good crew did more builds and had to come fix the two dodo's messes.

Just so glad this site is here to help all us people who are lost at this pool stuff. But I am learning!

Wow ... I would attempt to contact the owner or an authorized decision maker of the company to get that straightened out quick. If you don't get any satisfactory action with that approach, there's always the Consumer Fraud Division of the State Government or the BBB. That is just wrong.

This particular builder has at least 20 complaints against him in the BBB in SC. I had unfortunately dealt with them on a spa. The day the thing arrived it had a crack in it and leaked. They kept telling me I was "crazy". Until I took pictures and video of the leak. IMO the BBB doesn't give two hoots about whether a business is bad or not they say they are mediating but do NOTHING!! I still have a leaking spa that supposedly has a 10 year against leaks warranty but they won't do a dang thing about it! The leak is just one small issue with the spa. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.