Remove small stubborn rust spots?

SubGuy

Aug 17, 2012
So after about 24 hours any and all stains are completely gone (with one exception) and the pool is as blue as blue can be.

What's odd is that before the treatment we didn't really realize just how stained the bottom was because we had no previous experience with this pool ever being as clear as it is today. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it has been this way since we bought the place (so this goes back years) because it covered the entire bottom and we honestly thought that was the color (a kind of light green).

The one exception in the pool right now is that some of the rust spots from the steal wool are still present but seem to either decreased or are less clear because the bottom is so perfect now.

So, does anyone have a recommendation to remove small stubborn rust spots? The pool has a liner so we are trying to be careful as to not scrub too hard with anything.

Thanks.

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Had some time to calm down from the happiness discovered with the majority of stains that were removed. All is still clear except the remnants of rust stains that remain from the original steel wool error that was made.

Come on guys, we are 80% in the clear on this, if you could see your way to provide some solid advice on how to get rid of the small rust marks that are stubbornly hanging on. Thanks.

You could try crushing cheap vitamin C tabs (ascorbic acid) in a sock and set it on the stain for a few minutes.

Sounds like you already have a practically new pool! :goodjob:

Butterfly said:
You could try crushing cheap vitamin C tabs (ascorbic acid) in a sock and set it on the stain for a few minutes.

Sounds like you already have a practically new pool! :goodjob:

I already did the AA treatment and it took care of a heavily stained pool (years of neglect) and some of the rust stains. The remaining rust stains are no more than 1mm across, but there are lots of them spattered along the edge. They are STUBBORN!!!!

I have one more bag of AA and will try to do localized placement of a sock to see what happens. I just do not think this will do the trick because I did a test site in the same manner prior to the AA treatment.

Anyone have any luck with another product?

You should try a vitamin C tablet on one of the spots. If that doesn't remove it, then they are not rust spots and will need some other kind of treatment. If the vitamin C does work, then trying more AA is worth it.

I have rust spots in the grouting of my tiled pool. Could this be due to the frame of the pool behind the concrete? How can I get rid of these and prevent them from coming back?

Sub guy, if some of the stains are on the floor, use AA in a sock with stones on top to hold it down and leave it on the stain.

Peggy, have you tested with vitamin c to confirm that it's rust? If so, read up on the ascorbic acid treatment over in pool school. AA will remove rust stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately this seems to be something more than rust. I did the AA shock treatment and it cleared the pool pretty well, however, there seems to be this residual small spotting that just will not go away. I have tried Vitamin C with a localized methodology and nada. I have also tried scrubbing it away using a variety of scrubbing pads, etc and nothing. At this point I am at a loss.

I dropped a couple of nails onto my liner shortly after it was new. Vitamin C got about 70% of the rust stain up but ABSOLUTELY could not get any more. I am living with it 6 years later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.