LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Caledonia, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First off I'd like to say I love this site and this is my first post. I have really appreciated the knowledge I've gained over the years from reading posts from everyone.

So I'm approaching 7 years on the same sand in my filter. I've been trying to decide if I should refill using Zeobrite but haven't seen any recent posts on people's experiences. I've been happy with sand but notice particles in the water at night with the pool light on. Not really a huge deal but if I could filter the water better using Zeobrite then all the better.

Anybody have recommendations?

Thanks,
Jamie

Welcome to the forum. :lol: If you search zeobrite on the forum, you will find several pros and cons but the consensus is building that zeo may not be your best choice.....too many quality variations.

By the way, there is really no need to change the sand unless you have opened the filter and found something wrong that simply cleaning it won't fix.

Thanks for the reply. I searched for Zeobrite and most discussion occurred back in 2007, thought there would have been more updates. It's almost like the conversation went dark about it. :)

I have not found anything wrong with the sand and it still appears to be working well. I just figured it's been seven years maybe its time for a change.

I did have some minor algae problems this year even with keeping my chlorine levels up and adding algaecide. The water would be clear however I'd see green dust substance settled to the bottom and on a wall in the deep end. Trying to swim in it would stir it up and cause the water to have a green tint, eventually the pool would go clear and the green algae dust would settle again (is this true algae or just dead algae?). I finally vacuumed it up via the skimmer and through the sand filter and also added heavier doses of algaecide which seems to have got rid of it.

So I equated the algae problem to either old sand or it being the first year I went without a Nature 2 cartridge, or perhaps I wasn't as timely on the algaecide as I should have been. :) Would the pressure gauge indicate a time for a sand change? I'm running between 20-30 on the dial which seems okay.

The Nature 2 silver ion cartridge seems to have worked for me in the past but there is that expense of $95 I tried to live without. What has others experience been with Nature 2?

In summary Zeobrite and Nature2 - are there believers?

Thanks,
Jamie

The Nature system adds unneeded and unwanted metals to your water. Same goes for most algaecides. Like duraleigh says, Zeobrite can be a hit or miss depending on which brand you use. I personally wouldn't take the chance. Most so called "filter problems" are usually water problems.

Take a gander at Pool School. It could answer some of your questions and most likely will have you asking different questions. Come on back and ask away.

I'm on my 3rd season with Zeobrite. I'm happy with it. Not sure if it's really better than sand.

I switched from sand to Zeo when I had to buy a new filter.

Not much of an endorsement, but there ya go.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.