About to begin a self-install..Questions

janthony

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 27, 2012
Clarksville, TN
First off, thanks for all the info here. I plan to start a self install IG Liner pool in the next week or so. My worry is not with the build itself, but I do have a couple of questions that may save some regret in the future. I will be building a pool house with equipment inside after the pool is in. How long after I finish the pool do I need to be circulating the water and getting the chemicals regulated? I worry that I'll have a green pond before I get the pool house ready for electrical/pump? Can I keep the mostly empty with the liner installed or do I need to fill when I install liner and backfill? Also, does anyone out there have the small (return size) savi-note led lights? I plan to use 3 in my 20 x 39 roman, but I hope that will be enough light?

Once you install the liner, you must fill the pool immediately. The water is what holds the liner in place. YOu could probably add chlorine as you fill but you won't be able to go much more than a few days without circulation to prevent algae.

Okay, makes sense. How about not installing the liner until I have my equipment pad ready, which could be a couple of weeks? Will it hurt anything to leave the poolcrete bottom exposed for a while? I could use a sump pump to avoid standing water. Thanks.

All my pool equipment arrived today and the nervousness and excitement has set in. I will be self-installing the following as soon as the weather straightens out here in Middle TN. Any thoughts or advice.(Good or Bad) I have tried to think of everything, but I don't want to have any regrets on what I wish I'd done. Thanks in advance for all the help I know this site will provide. Will post pics asap if I can figure out how.

20x39 Patrician Steel IG Liner
10' Roman Steps Gray Granite w/jets
2HP Hayward Tri-Star Pump
4-Savi-note LED Lights w/ M4 Rainbow controller
Cantilever Stone Coping
Concrete Paver Decking
Auto-Chlorinator w/ Mineral Supplement
Hayward Sand Filter (Thinking of adding DE)
36" Jandy Sheer Decent in deep end
Umbrella Sleeves in deck
20'x18' Pool House w/ 24 x 18 Pavillion(Gable Overhang)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only reason I was planning to go thicker was to reduce the tendency to crack. I assisted on a pool recently where the contractor installed 2" thick and the deep end was cracked before they finished the shallow end. It cracked while it was still wet! I just don't want any liner problems down the road with major cracks.

GL. We just done a semi DIY. Hired out the dig, pool bottom and liner install. Saved 10k over quoted pb price. My only advice would be have a plan and hard Budget. We went over ours by 2k but that was because we decided to add more concrete and other small overages. The electrical was $900. I was budgeting $500. Little things like that add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on the install. Weather has been a bit wet here in TN, but I hope to start digging on Thursday. I have a couple more questions that I know you guys can help with. 1. Is there a good thread on how to import pictures to the forum? I'd like to post some as I get started. Also, My setup will have a couple of sheer decent falls and the installation instructs DO NOT USE WITH A SAND FILTER. I know the blades are picky about debris, but I already have my sand filter on site. Anyone out there have sheer decents with sand filters? Problems? Should I add a small cartridge filter just upstream from my waterfall valves? If so what size? Thanks again for all the help. This site has been a lifesaver.

I've never heard any warnings against sand filters before. The openings are much larger than the particles a sand filter should let through.

As for importing pictures, the easiest thing is to get an account with a site like flickr or photobucket, upload the pictures there, and then paste the link from that site into the forum.

I like the aqua logic very well. Can't compare it to anything but it does what I want it to. I plan on this week wiring up some light posts and program it to control those. I like the Ecostar combo also. I know the Ecostar has a built in timer that can do the same as far as timers go but having the option to add a wireless control that I can put in the house is nice. I think which pump you decide on decides on which one you go with though. From reading they both do about the same. One may do some things better and vice versa. Only thing I don't like is only having 4 available speeds on the Ecostar without having to go change the settings. What I mean by that is you set speed 1-4 whatever you want. Then you can go through 1-4 easily but if you want a speed in between you have to go into settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.