Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Alarms

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Alarms

Any recommendations for a pool alarm? Consumer Reports recommends the Poolguard PGRM-2. Just curious if anyone has tried it or has any other suggestions. Also, any good recommendations for backyard fencing to block off the pool from our 1 year old who just started walking would also be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    22000 gallon, vinyl, 1.5HP Century Centurion Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter (no.20 silica sand)
    PoolVac Plus Automatic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

If it is IG pool, the fence must be to code; 4 foot with lockable gates.

If the house will be the fence on one side, any door should have an alarm.

Think SAFE
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I tried the pool gaurd but returned it when the in house part of the alarm didn't work. Be advised that you need to drill into your coping. I made a mounting block out of wood which allowed me not to drill into my deck. (Which I refused to do) I purchased a Pool Patrol which floats. It's far from perfect but does work. We use it during the day only since it can have false alarms. I have come to the conclusion that there is no real good alarms, the best being adult supervison which is priceless. The alarm for us is just a last line of defense.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for information. Any recommendations for places to buy fence that might be more affordable but also up to code. I plan on doing the installation myself.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is your pool an IG or an AG? If it is an AG, do you have a deck that is level with the top of the pool?

Tell us alittle about the pool.
    Hotrod30

Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6
    Sorry, it is an in-ground pool, rectangle. Not sure on the square feet but it is a pretty good size, big enough to swim laps.

7. Back To Top    #7

There must be codes where you live; fence, gates, etc. If the house is going to be one side of the fence and there is a door leading out to the pool; you're going to have to do something with the door; some type of lock and alarm.

The fence gates will have to be locked at all times. There are all types of locks for any type of gate you can think of.

The way you are putting it, it sounds like you don't have a fence around the pool now.
    Hotrod30

Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8
    I have the Poolguard alarm and I unfortunately had to take it out of the pool yesterday because of the false alarms.

Although your wife might find it hilarious, running outside in your briefs at 3:00am isn't all that fun. I'm sure my neighbours enjoyed the show.

The false alarms we got were due to windy conditions (the pump wasn't running at the time). I also just installed some solar panels and I'm concerned that the waves caused by the air bubbling out of the panels will cause the alarm to go off.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)