Cost of inground pool?

May 30, 2012
Boyd, Texas
I see all these threads showing amazing inground pools but I have no clue how much they cost and i'm curious... I've used a couple online pool cost calculators but they really don't go into detail or show what kind of pool you will get. Is there a thread/area on this forum where people post pictures of their pool and how much it cost?

There are a lot of threads in this forum of people asking for someone to review their bids ... some include drawings as well. Browse for them and it will give you some idea. I think under $20k is pretty difficult and going over $50k is getting pretty fancy ... but it really depends on your location and options you select.

We did ours as listed in the signature block below for roughly $31k. Timing was a big part of it (recession) and a willingness to source some things on our own and a fair bit of diy and assisting on the installation. Also, the soil you'll be digging in can really impact cost so I heard. Ours was sandy soil with no rock or stumps and we did not hit water during the dig. Best of luck in your research. We got educated here and then shopped around for everything. Also we did our install in January when it is not exactly swim season, and no reason to rush any part of the job.

Here's an update since I saw some things listed on additional posts regarding items that impact cost and remembered a few things on ours: Excavated dirt was no fee for us as we back up to a sand pit lake that is currently drained for more digging and they welcomed the dirt from our dig. Also, we got a fiberglass pool that was reduced in price because someone had ordered it and cancelled (as the story we got goes at least). No waterline tile (yet), I got to play with the Bobcat for a week cleaning up the yard after all work was done (way cool benefit I thought), our figure includes all automation and extras like slide, dive, solar, deck jets, and about 800-900 sq ft of concrete with stained knockdown cool deck finish. Also includes the 10-12 pallets of sod I bought after it was all done and the day laborer I hired to lay it.

Here's our approximate timeline as I recall: Started digging on the first Tuesday morning of 2011 and had a functioning in ground fiberglass pool filled with water by that Friday afternoon. We let the dirt under the decking settle for about 3 weeks (watering it daily to aid settling and compacting) and then poured all of the concrete decking in one day (early Feb I think). We let the concrete cure for a few weeks and then he applied the texturing and stain finishing over several days in early March. We did the sod sometime in March also as I recall, and added the solar in late April and the slide sometime in July of 2011. (The slide and solar installation were all 100% DIY.)

Bottom line, do your research and compare the pool you really want apples to apples for your area. We were fortunate to discover that due to our timing and willingness to do a lot of online shopping/research and some hard labor for a few weeks that we could actually get more pool and what we felt was a better pool for us (fiberglass) for our money. Oh and one other thing, make sure that you go and see completed pools from the pool builders you interview and talk with the owners about their experience.

Like you, I'm more about function than fashion so every time I walk into a really fancy looking business (pool or otherwise) all I can think about is that it is a really impressive store, but all of that adds overhead that has to be paid from somewhere! We went with the small guy pool builder who only does about 20 a year and has very little overhead instead of the larger builder with several retail stores in the area. We got what we felt was a great pool and a far better price than others quoted. For us, that hole full of water in our back yard has really been a great investment in the family. Once again, I wish you all the best as you plan your pool.

Thanks for the info. I would like to find a pool similar to what I would want and then find out how much it cost. I'm more of a function over looks type person. I wouldn't want to spend $2000 to make something look a little nicer but wouldn't have a problem spending that to make it function better. I like the rectangle pools just as much as shaped ones.

I know when I decided to build ours, my neighbor had installed a "NO UPGRADE Inground salt water POOL" for $26,000. Another neighbor paid $38,000 - but added a slide, diamond brite plaster, a spa, a tanning ledge, 3 benches, Led lights, extended concrete... etc.

I would get some bids for your area. I know my PB was not the cheapest, nor the most expensive.. but I trusted him. That's alot of cash to lay out if you are unsure of your PB. Mine was under $50,000, completed in 3 weeks. It's not always about the money.

Many things affect the cost.

Amount and where (how far) to dispose of the dirt?
Are there rocks in your area, how big?
How much steel are the rebar crew going to use? If the design is deep, or it's close to the house or garage, or has a water fall, or elevated spa the steel requirements for labor and material will be higher.
Same goes for the amount of gunite used. Large or complex designs take more material and more time. Same for plumbing.
Someone has to clean up the gunite crew's mess. More $$
Then there is the equipment. The cost can be anywhere from less than a $1000 to $20,000 depending on quality, size, automation and features.
Then there are the finishes. Tile and coping plus installation can easily be $5000. Marcite plaster isn't terribly expensive to do but other finishes can add to the cost.
The amount and type of decking can push the total cost from low (concrete), medium (spray deck) to high (pavers).
Don't forget landscaping and other architectural component will add cost.

Reading the pool builds here are inspirational and but are difficult to compare apples to apples.

bigdav160 said:
Many things affect the cost.

Amount and where (how far) to dispose of the dirt?
Are there rocks in your area, how big?
How much steel are the rebar crew going to use? If the design is deep, or it's close to the house or garage, or has a water fall, or elevated spa the steel requirements for labor and material will be higher.
Same goes for the amount of gunite used. Large or complex designs take more material and more time. Same for plumbing.
Someone has to clean up the gunite crew's mess. More $$
Then there is the equipment. The cost can be anywhere from less than a $1000 to $20,000 depending on quality, size, automation and features.
Then there are the finishes. Tile and coping plus installation can easily be $5000. Marcite plaster isn't terribly expensive to do but other finishes can add to the cost.
The amount and type of decking can push the total cost from low (concrete), medium (spray deck) to high (pavers).
Don't forget landscaping and other architectural component will add cost.

Reading the pool builds here are inspirational and but are difficult to compare apples to apples.

Oh I completely understand that, and I think that is why it is so hard to figure out cost. You could see two almost identical pools, but one of them may cost $5000 more just because they used a different tile or coping.

Here's a link to my build. I don't mind putting out prices because I'm doing my own contracting and not using a builder.

Excavation and disposal of an extra 75 cubic yards of dirt was $2600
rebar installation at 8 inch centers and 12 inch beam was $2200
Plumbing stub out was $450. I supplied the skimmers, drains and spa venturis. I might have over paid because there is still no plumbing to the pad.
Gunite was $6600
1200 sq/ft of Pavestone pavers cost $4500. There are some base material cost also.
I have quite an extensive list of equipment (some not listed in signature) that add's up to another $7500
My tile and coping was $3000 in materials.

Depending on how much of the work I do myself I'll spend $30k-$35k for a pool that I builder would charge $70k

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started preparing for a fiberglass pool by FIRST reading everything on this website. Do your research! YOU should decide what model of pool, filter, pump, returns, skimmers, concrete, etc, who pulls permits, who does the electrical, who does the plumbing, who buys the gravel, what size gravel (#8 for backfill), fence, etc. before you seek a builder. Then put it all in writing including part numbers, sq ft concrete (stamped, etc), dirt removal, site cleanup, resodding/seeding, water fill, etc. Include EVERYTHING in writing. Then, start your process of looking for a PB. I opted to purchase and install the majority of the components, did my own wiring, and made arrangements with a neighbor to take the dirt removed. I bought the fence and PB will install on concrete, etc....

When I talked to a PB that was not willing to break EVERYTHING down I crossed him off the list. In the end you get what you ...

With 1500 sqft stamped concrete we spent $49K

To give you an idea of a pretty nice pool, we purchased a high-end (In-ground, gunnite, heater, swg, etc) for $59K in MD. When we were all done with the pool house, walls around the pool and landscaping, etc, I doubled the price. I did all the work myself except for the pool installation, so it certainly could have cost a LOT MORE!

Attachments

• lPhaseVII-Day394-Picture6.jpg
    lPhaseVII-Day394-Picture6.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1,281
I have about 58k in my build, you can see all the details in my build thread located in my sig.

My pb was one of the highest bids but they also did my sod and sprinkler reroute and repair and included 1 month of pool support after startup.

Good luck

We just started our pool build. It's 30k gallons with hot tub, grotto and 25' slide. Lots of boulders, led lights, tanning shelf, 1400 paver decking, fire pit, heat pump and gas heater..93k is what we're spending. We're in GA

Our pool build would have been less than $26,000 had we had a nice flat even yard to dig in. We will add to that with rock waterfall, built in steps. That also does not include the pool deck which can vary tremendously depending on what you want. If you have rock to hammer through....that does add up quickly. That is with us contracting out the pool. This is saving us around $10,000 from what other pool builders would have charged; however, you have to spend alot of time with subs and having flexible hours if you have to be home. This website is terrific for finding great ideas and great information. Best wishes!

I am just about to start building a new pool in LA. I had to demo the old decrepit kidney pool first, which cost about $20k. The new pool will be a 38' x 10' pool and spa with a max depth of 6'. I am in a hillside ordinance area. I just got the pool permits today. My builder (Jerry Dobkin of Atlas Swimming Pool Co.) has been building pools since 1965. He is fantastic. The pool quote is $63,826 not including the flagstone coping, which will be priced in with the rest of the flagstone decking I'm putting in. It includes: Intelliflo variable speed pump, 520 Clean and Clear filter, 400k Sta Rite Max E Therm heater, CoverPro automatic pool cover (recessed, completely hidden by coping), Easy Touch remote, Aqua Rite saline system, color LED lights for pool and spa, water feature in dam wall between pool and spa, and Pebble Sheen.

This is what it will look like, essentially, though I am using 3 Rivers flagstone instead.

poolidea5a.jpg

poolidea5.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.