Proper cleaning for coolcrete?

Apr 22, 2008
Central Texas
We have coolcrete (The specific trade name is SunCrete according to some documents that I found from when the pool was built by the previous owners.) all the way around our pool and in some spots mold has grown in the depressions and crevices. I've pressure washed it, but I didn't want to get too aggressive for fear of damaging the surface. (Is this stuff solid, or just a coating applied over concrete?) The dirt and such cleans up pretty quickly, but the mold isn't going away at all. My thought is to mix up some bleach and water, then spray it onto the surface and let it work its magic for a while and then give it a good rinse with the pressure washer. I thought about using other concrete cleaning products, but I figure that if I use bleach then I won't have to worry if some of it gets splashed into the pool. Bleach is good! :wink:

Has anyone else done this? Is 1 cup of bleach per gallon strong enough? I plan to apply the bleach mixture early in the morning, before rapid evaporation becomes an issue. Any gotchas? Alternative solutions? Thanks!

That sounds like a good plan. We tend to get some mold on the back of our house and I use a 1 to 4 bleach/water solution to spray the brick. Some of it gets on the SunDek and has never hurt anything.

I believe you are talking about a concrete coat type product, so it's probably wise not to get too aggressive with the power washer. Up close and on full power, a strong pressure washer will remove concrete off your sidewalk, so you know a top coat is not going to hold up to that. I'd use a wide pattern and don't get too close and you should be fine.

HarryH3 said:
Sounds like a 4:1 bleach mix is the hot ticket! I'll give it a try and see how things workout. I thought about using other chemicals, but I don't want to risk messing up the chemistry in my sparkling clear pool. ;)

Thanks!

How did things work out, I picked up six gallons of bleach today, for $12, clorox, sams club, no brainer... I am attempting to clean a pool deck. Did you use a scrub brush? I have been thinking about going with a mop? Anyone ever try that or is the wool type mop not abrasive enough to lift the dirt. Mop on and then powerwash with med fan spray?

thanks
evan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.