Water escaping through backwash line when in filter mode

JBird

Sep 17, 2010
When my pool is in normal filtering mode I have water escaping through my back wash line. It just started doing this. At first, I could backwash, switch back to filter and water would come out of the back wash line as well as water recirculating into the pool and also it would send debris into the pool. But if I "rinsed" after back wash it would filter and return properly. Now it is releasing water through the backwash line whether I rinse after a backwash or not. I assume there may be a problem with my multiport valve. Suggestions? Thanks. J

Open up the multi-valve and check the "spider" gasket inside ... likely damaged and leaking. Some are just a gasket and newer ones have the gasket bonded to a plate that is replaced with the gasket.

Jason, I have had to slowly learn how to do different things on my own to my pool pump, etc., like changing the sand myself, and changing out the capacitor on my pump motor, so pardon me if I sound a little uneducated when I ask the Hows.

To open up the multi-valve, is it just a matter of unscrewing the top plate to get to the spider valve?

Thanks so much.

No problem. Yup, should be as simple as removing the ~8 screws on the top.

Make note of the correct orientation of the top before you remove it (maybe take a picture). There should be some guides or indicators, but it is not always obvious and if you put in on wrong it can lead to all kinds of odd behavior.

On most port valves there is a odd nodule that lines up so you don't have to worry about putting it back wrong. Unless yours is the new style that has the gasket bonded to the key assembly, then you can mess things up.

For a premium, but yes. Although if it is like my Leslie's, they have to special order everything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.